Winter Riding Feb ’13

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2,525 voices, and was last updated by  jon December 9, 2014 at 8:41 pm.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

madjak30
        • Senior Contributor

Only real downfall I can see is the small fuel tank…might cause me to look at 650cc bikes anyway…the 400 only has a 10L tank!?!

The DR650 has 13L, the XR650 has 11L and the KLR650 has 23L…Hmmm, which one is the better choice?

I looked at ’06 bikes…just in case someone has a different year with a different tank…kinda assumed the tanks didn’t change much through the years, since the bikes didn’t.

What is it with the small tanks? Trying to get lower curb weight figures? What if you want to go further than the next town? That’s one of the things that I just don’t like about my bike, the range…sometimes there are 200kms (or further) between fuel stations, I’d be screwed!

Later.

Gerrys02800

A clarke 4.7 fuel tank solved my problem… well, the PO did when he put it on. Thats the only drawback to the 650, small fuel tanks. If It was just in town rides I can see it, but if your going road you want a bigger tank and then carry 1 – 2 fuel cans for those deep wood rides.

madjak30
            • Senior Contributor

I’ll just be happy to get back out riding…don’t know if I’ll get to go for a ride when I’m home this time, but I am hopeful.  I think I will try to organize a season openner for May 4th, unless you guys think April 13th will work out?

And yes, I’m going to schedule around my weekends home.

I’ll post it in another thread with a proposed route…time to get this season rolling!!

Later.

Bullseye

From what I hear……. Sask insurance rates are about SKYROCKET !!!! Like a 75% jump…crazy stuff !!

BUT that might mean some bikes for sale ……..just keep checking Kijiji !!!

barwelle

I’m looking for a DRZ400S…found a few DRZ400SM for under $4000, but I don’t want a street toy…
              I won’t be making a purchase for a couple months anyway, so just window shopping for now.

You can send any 400SM’s to me!

I think I’ve settled on this for a first bike.

Where have you found them?  I’ll be keeping an eye on kijiji… anywhere else that is good?

ps.  first post yay

Bullseye

I know “Turples” in Red Deer has one !!!  😉

madjak30
                    • Senior Contributor

Welcome barwelle to our little site!  8)

I just was looking on Kijiji when I found those…the selling season should be just getting started, selection should be pretty good in the next few weeks…

I think the SM is one of the best bikes to start on…great fun!  I just want something that is a little more adventure geared since I already have a street bike that I enjoy.

Are you licensed yet? Have you taken a beginner rider course?  They are a great investment…you also get a discount on insurance if you have one.

Later.

barwelle

Bullseye: Hmm I don’t see it on their website… I’ll send them an email.

madjak: Thanks for the welcome.  I’ll keep an eye out.  Seems like the bikes like this are mostly around Calgary… or there’s one in Rocky on kijiji. I’m a little ways north of Edmonton. 

Nope, don’t have my class 6, I’m signed up to take CTEC’s course on June 22/23 and will take the test after that.  I was sad to see they were already booked up till then… should have signed up earlier.

madjak30
                        • Senior Contributor

Yes, the early classes book quickly…I booked in Feb & didn’t get into class until mid May, and that was in Red Deer!  😮

Maybe we’ll have summer by the time you take your course… :-[ (damn Alberta spring)

Hope you stay active on the forum.

Later.

MarinaPt

We still Have left a couple pairs of the Sinisalo Gortex riding pants size 34 &36  and  Gortex enduro jacket size 44  This stuff is a must for winter riding. Plus a few misc. summer riding gear items. Sinisalo is no longer being imported into North America. Phone Darryl at  932-5528

By the way, the best program for marketing, SEO and SMM for me – it a XRumer 12.0.9 Elite 🙂

MarinaPt

We still Have left a couple pairs of the Sinisalo Gortex riding pants size 34 &36  and  Gortex enduro jacket size 44  This stuff is a must for winter riding. Plus a few misc. summer riding gear items. Sinisalo is no longer being imported into North America. Phone Darryl at  932-5528

By the way, the best program for marketing, SEO and SMM for me – it a XRumer 12.0.9 Elite 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.