What would you consider to be high mileage

• This topic has 355 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    oldguy
    Participant

Looking to get into a used cruiser and see several in the market that appear to be in good shape 2001 to 2008 and are running anywhere in the 14,000km to 45,000km. Obviously the lower the mileage the better but where in the scale would you consider that a 650cc to 1300cc unit be a high mileage bike?

Gerrys02800

My 2002 VFR800 has 47,000 km on it, a fellow VFR owner in Portland OR I know has 136,000 as September of last year when I meet him and a few others in Vancouver BC ( 2 others are in the 100,000km range). I had a 1996 CBR with just over 41,000 km when I sold it. While I was parts mg for a Honda / Yam shop, a few customers had over 200,000 on their goldwings / Venture Royal’s. My uncle purchased a new 1996 Virago ( summer of 97 ) from me, that he sold in 2006 with over 90,000 km and then he bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 in 2007, which was written off with just under 75,000 km.

A few people on this site have high mileage on their bikes, tpadams has/had a ST1300 with over 100,00 km on it. Madjak30 crash’s his bikes and gets new ones all the time so he out of the mileage count.  ;D

Boils down to the current PO, how he/she looks after it and and known problems. My VFR, is known for melting wires near the main fuse box and stator. Fixed the problem for $50.00, no problem. My XR650L is known to Have a bad CDI, take the cover off, do some TLC and its good to go… did it.
        Do some research into the bike, if a stator, bad CDI is a common theme, what has the prev owner done to address it. If its a common issue at 20,000km and the bike has 14,000km… you have a possible expense. If you find a bike, post it up, and see what people know about the bike, check specific bike forums for problems, owner satisfaction. buy and ride and trade.

tpadams
        Participant

Also depends on the make of the bike.
          Some manufacturers have a real trouble in making bikes that can last without any severe failures in them.
          My dad had an ’85 goldwing that he sold 2 years ago with 270,000 kms on it. My ST has 110,000kms which I’m looking at selling this spring.

BMWs and Yamahas are also easily capable of achieviving 100,000+kms without any major problems. but it always comes down to the maintenance, if the bike is properly maintained (like any other vehicle) it will last a long time.

Except Harleys, i’ve not met anyone with a Harley that is over 50,000 kms  ;D

delusionalmechanicdelusionalmechanic
          Participant

From a mechanics opinion, with a few exceptions, most motorcycles will age out long before they mile out.
            What I mean by this statement is if you take a brand new car and park it in the grass for 2 years it will still have no miles on it but it will need a new battery, wipers, tires, and brakes. we will start the list there.

I used to have a 1984 yamaha venture royal with 120,000Km on it. The milage never scared me but it was 26 years old and it occasionally reminded me of that.

I guess you would have to ask yourself how many Kms you intend to do in a year. If you are looking at a 2008 bike with 45,000Km and you put 10,000Km a year then it would take another 6 years to be over 100,000. That would make it a 13 year old bike and still not be high milage.

My wing has 120,000Km and I historically averaged 24,000 a year. I have already started to save for a new one when it it is somewhere in the 200,000 mark.
            Pic from last year.

Note: the same applies to motorhomes and grain trucks.

To make a long meandering story short, 14,000Km or 45,000Km means very little, age and maintenance are much more important.

ABLE

+3 on the maintenance side of things.  Certain bikes are designed better than others, but on the whole, most bikes from the big 4 Japanese brands are easy to maintain and fairly reliable when they’ve been cared for.

I am on a Yamaha Road Star forum and there are guys there that have 100,000+ miles, not km, on their bikes with only regular maintenance, others pushing 200,000 miles.

The hard part I found when looking for a bike is finding an owner that kept maintenance records.  I don’t know if I’m unusual, but I kept most every receipt for service or parts that were put on the bike, and if I was missing it I could tell the buyer where the bike was serviced and/or at what intervals and what oil was used.  Some guys couldn’t answer that question when I contacted them initially and that was a huge red flag.  Not all riders will keep records, but they should be able to tell you their maintenance regime and that they had the big services done and where.

A well cared for metric cruiser with 45,000 km shouldn’t be a problem.  Just ask the right questions and research what sort of regular maintenance is required.  For big twins, most have a valve adjustment every 12K or 25K depending on the setup.  Other than that it’s mostly replacing consumables when they’re worn and fluids at set intervals.  Any service department can tell you what to look out for on a model you’re interested in.  In this day and age, there’s a Facebook group or a forum for owners of a certain line of cruiser or even model, so that’s a resource for you too and most guys are quick to point out any shortcomings or things to watch for when buying used.

Gryphon Rider

Although I have no statistics to support this, I would suggest that water-cooled engines have a better chance of going the distance than air-cooled, fuel-injected than carbureted, and lower-revving than higher-revving.

Pedersoli

Low mileage does not mean the engine is in good shape.  Unless you put a motor away for the season with a fresh oil in the crankcase and a few spoonfulls of oil through the spark plug holes, corrosion will set in.

Carbs left with gas in the float bowls is just asking for trouble with the new ethanol blends.  I had the idle mixture jet gum up on a rototiller carb that only sat for one month!

A bike that has been rode regularly often is in better shape, for the year, than one that sat tucked away in the corner of a barn or garage for the last 5 years.

oldguy
                  Participant

Well the selection is completed and a choice made, I have picked up a 2005 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with 22,000km, with new tires, new Vance and Hines pipes, new battery and a new chain and spocket. Just need to change the fluids and will be redy for the open road very soon especially if this weather keps up. Cheers and thanks to all that responded.
                    image.jpg

tpadams
                    Participant

nice looking bike, hopefully it treats you well

delusionalmechanicdelusionalmechanic
                      Participant

Looks nice! All we need now is some weather! Enjoy.

ABLE

Congratulations.  The Honda Shadow is a noble and reliable steed.  Ride safe and enjoy!

touring03
                          Participant

I also have a 2002 Honda 800cc VFR with 96,000 kms on it, engine is still tight, no leaks of any kind, my goal, keep riding it until the engine has to be rebuilt.

PG.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.