What is your plan for 2011…New bike, or same old same old?

• This topic has 7,548 voices and 111 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    madjak30
        • Senior Contributor

I know for me it is shopping season  ;D…and I just can't seem to stop thinking about my options… ???

So, what is everyone else's plan for the spring…same old same old, do some mods and tune, or new toy?

Later.

lonesoldier84

You mean 2011?

madjak30
            • Senior Contributor

I don’t under stand the question… 😉

Thanks.

Gerrys02800

Let you know after the show on Sat. See if Honda can do anything other than CBR 125 or 250’s.

madjak30
                • Senior Contributor

Yeah, they are making a real big deal about the small bikes…I guess the VFR had it’s year last year…same as the VT1300 cruisers…my daughter is excited to sit on the 250cc bikes…@12 she’s a little eager, but that’s fine with me…I got crazy about anything with a motor (especially bikes) when I was 9…got a Honda Trail 70 for my birthday that year…so she is a little behind… ;D

I found a 2002 Bandit 1200S for $4500…I’m going to look at it and sit on it…not buying, but it is at a dealer so atleast I can see how it fits…and like lonesoldier said, the insurance is only a couple hundred more a year…what’s an extra $15-20 per month??  No question about the power on that one…

Later.

Gerrys02800

Well I hope it fits you, and you like the way it feels / looks and see your self on one.

cuz this one is still available: http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-touring-2003-Suzuki-Bandit-W0QQAdIdZ253795200

madjak30
                    • Senior Contributor

Couldn’t get down to see it…took 1.5hrs to get an oil change done (by the time I got there and in)…and the roads are crappy, not to mention hwy 2 was closed due to accidents…I think people forget how to drive in winter conditions…buy winter tires people!!

Later.

Gerrys02800

Well after the MC show. i would have it narrowed down to the following. In no order.

Honda Varadero
                    Triumph Tiger 1050
                    Kaw Z1000
                    Yam FZ1

lonesoldier84

GOD DAMN IT

i totally forgot the bike show was this past weekend.

madjak30
                          • Senior Contributor

Well after the MC show. i would have it narrowed down to the following. In no order.

Honda Varadero
                        Triumph Tiger 1050
                        Kaw Z1000
                        Yam FZ1

I found the Varadero similar to the V-Strom, but heavier…I didn’t sit on the Triumph…the Z1000 foot pegs are too close to the muffler supports (my heals hit them when the balls of  my feet were on the pegs)…the FZ1 was nice, but too much power for me…

We’ll see…

Later.

tpadams
                        Participant

I have been looking into selling my C50 boully and purchasing a sport touring bike and the more i look the more i like hondas ST series.

As i’ve mentioned before my price range leads me to a fully equipped 90’s ST1100 or a naked 2005-ish 1300, which completely defeats the purpose of having a sport touring bike.
                          I’ve looked at BMW’s series, whatever it is, and they are way too pricy for me. I’ve looked at suzuki’s Vstrom, which i am not too fond of the looks, but the only ones i saw were cheap naked models or expensive fully equipped models, both of which were only 3-4 yrs old.

Those are the main types i’ve looked at. I currently have a 95 st1100 on hold for me until i get a chance to take it on a test ride.

if anyone has any suggestions that may help in my decision, i welcome it.
                          i am looking for a bike with great fuel range (300+ km/tank), comfortable riding for 6-8 hours in a day(kind of hard to tell until its tested), easy to handle on city roads, decent storage for camping trips, good wind protection and most of all fun to ride.

To my knowledge the st1100 covers all of these, except its handling at slow speeds.

madjak30
                              • Senior Contributor

You should also consider the Kawasaki Concours and the Yamaha FJR1300…they are all 400km+ bikes, comfort all day and enough power to keep you happy…but the one thing they all have in common, they are heavy 600lbs or more, so slow and in town stuff they work but aren’t the best choice.  I would imagine that you would get used to it (since your Boulevard is in that weight category), but being a sporty bike the weight is carried a little higher…so a bit of a learning curve, but not something that you couldn’t do. 

The other option is go for something a little less armchair, and more standard…the FZ1, Bandit, CBF1000 or even the Versys…all can be found used for very reasonable prices…

I really like the FJR but can’t afford one, so I am heading toward the Bandit…I think…but check them all out, who knows which one you will like?

Later.

Gerrys02800

St1100 /1300 – FJ1300 or Kaw Conc, all those bike will be a little offer a little challange at low speeds.

tpadams
                              Participant

cool, thanks.
                                I kind of want to stay away from the “crotch rocket” category. i didn’t know that kawasaki and yamaha have a sport tourer.

My first bike was a yamaha 550xj maxim, which had all of its like 200lbs up higher on it.

i’ll keep an eye out for a kawasaki concours, not too fussy with what i read about the fjr1300.

madjak30
                                    • Senior Contributor

This is the bike I am going to see on Saturday (not exactly this bike…the one I am going to see is a 2002 in Blue, but you get the idea)

Bandit 1200S

It is also available as a Bandit 600S (looks exactly the same, just a smaller motor)
                                  Both have a 20L tank…range on the 1200 is 360kms approx…on the 600 more like 400kms…

You could also check into the Yamaha camp…

FZ1…

or the FZ6…

The Honda camp also has a couple of bikes to consider…

CBF1000…

CBF600…

The Bandit 600S changed to the Bandit 650S in 2005 and 2006 to this…

Then in 2007 it got fuel injection and a full faring…

GSX650F..

In 2007 to 2009 the Bandit got a similar styling treatment as the 650S…

Then in 2010 became the GSX1250FA…

I think all of these bikes would fit what you are looking for, but the FZ1 has considerably more power than the others…

Later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 112 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.