Torque wrench

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2,026 voices, and was last updated by  viken February 6, 2016 at 5:17 am.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

viken

From what I've read, reading dials is better than waiting for clicks. Which one do you recommend (brand/model)? Where can/did you purchase it from? Thanks!

delusionalmechanic
      delusionalmechanic
      Participant

Snap-on! I bought them (3) off the Snap-on truck. ;D
        Having said that, the torque wrench I bought for at home, I believe was on sale at peavey mart. It’s a  click type screw handle. Its hard to read, bulky, gears are corse but it dose work for the amount that I use it at home and I can’t justify two full sets of Snap-on torque wrenches. 😛

star_deceiver

I’ve got the click type, 1/2 inch drive.  The big knob at the end has all the numbers, locks down, very simple!  Twist, lock, wrench – click, done!

Bert

In my line of work, we have quality assurance/control that have to witness and sign off every stud and bolt that has to be torqued. Each wrench has to be sent out (mandatory) every month for calibration. Seeing the test facility’s calibration sheets, I’ve noticed something. Some wrenches were way out while the others didn’t even need adjustment. The reason was that for all the ones that didn’t need adjustment, the users had backed off the pressure after using it. The wrenches that were way out were the ones that the workers had put back in its case directly after usage. Funny thing, my dad had a point all those years ago in the shop when he’d warn me to zero it out before putting it away. We trust these tools to keep our rides fastened together and safe, so remember to treat your specialty tools accordingly.
            My 2 cents.

Gerrys02800

I have 2 torque wrench’s

Proto $115.00 3/8Dr: 10 – 80ft lbs Length is 14inch. This is my carry unit that goes with me on long trips. This will do everything from the front Caliper bolts, rear lug nuts to the chain adjuster.
              Westward $120.00 1/2Dr: 20 – 200 Ft lbs Length is 19.5 inch. This is for the Vehicles and the bike.

The Proto is small enuff that is easy to through in one of the givi bags with the other tools/tire fix it stuff that I carry. As I work in a field where I have about… Oooooo lets well over 100 torque wrench’s I can honestly say this:

1. A good wrench will be about $80 -100.00
              2. 3/8 is small enough to do everything on the bike.
              3. Click style is the only one I buy. As mentioned, zero it down when your done.

After 1 year of using both torques on my vehicles, bikes or vehicles owned by others, I took them both to my mechanic who certifies everything from ¼ to 1inch hyd torque wrench’s and they both were dead balls on. Just like new. Reading dials are ok, but IMHO not even close to click style and digitals units just cost $$$$. Make sure that when you do buy a unit, that there is a calibration sheet inside the case and it is dated within the year. If it is not, tell them to A: recertify it free of charge, or B: crack open another case.

viken

lotsa good tips here!

i was thinking of getting in the range of at least 20-90 coz I’ve read my bikes manual and the least needed is 22 for the oil filter and 83lbf-ft. for the axle.

So, 3/8 is a good enough size for using on the bike; click style is ok as long as set back to zero after using… where’s the best place to get this from? Places that comes to mind are CanadianTire, HomeDepot, PrincessAuto, Rona?

Also, what if i cant buy this from a local store? Would it be ok to get one online? I was looking at this Proto but its at 40-200.

This one fits my 20-90 range need but its a 1/2 Mastercraft 1/2-in Drive Torque Wrench

I was looking at a dgital too Mastercraft Torque Adaptor

Gerrys02800

What are the specs for your front Caliper bolts and pinch bolts ?

viken

I just checked the service manual again;

caliper mounting bolts = 22 ft-lb
                    pad pins = 13 ft-lb

guess i need at least 10 now…

Gerrys02800

Check with places like Acklands, Napa or a tool house. If your willing to pay $99.00 for a CT unit, look around and see who carries POTO,Westward etc.

Bert

Sometimes you can find a heck of a deal in Peavey Mart and Princess Auto on some quality tools. Sometimes they get the good stuff and price it so low that I think they made a mistake. The next one I’m wanting to buy is an inch/lb with a 1/4 inch drive. Hard to find though.

viken

I was looking at the Ackland website but they dont seem to have the range i need (10N•m-113N•m at least). I wouldnt want to get two if I can find one that suit my needs.

the search continues…

Captkerk

I have ben using “beam” type torque wrenches for years, a 1/2″ and a 3/8″  They cover most of the small engine and V8 work that I have encountered.  I have checked them against a calibration gage a few times, but they dont change much and remain accurate enough for my needs.  Good torquing requires that you take your time and proceed in small increments, especially when approaching the target. 
                            Pete

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.