Technical Changes to the Site – Part 5 (April 24, 2010)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1,270 voices, and was last updated by Ryan Ryan April 26, 2010 at 12:59 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Okay, after accidentally deleting the site from the FTP folder a few days ago, I thought it was all over (hadn't backed up the FTP files for the site, just the database).

Fortunately the good people at Dreamhost backup their customers' database fairly often and they had a backup that was only a few hours old!  I took this as a sign that it was time to backup the whole site and upgrade the forum so here are the changes that have been made over the last few days:

1.  SMF Forum upgrade from version 1.1.8 to 2.0 RC3
      2.  Made some various cosmetic changes (Header, Footer, Fonts, …etc…)
      3.  Under the registration page, I've added a few questions that need to be answered to further prevent spambots from infiltrating the forums (ex. Are you a Robot (yes or no)? and What province was this site created for?)
      4.  Updated the logo
      5.  Fixed the timezone

Hopefully everyone likes the new changes.  And if I ever pull a stupid stunt like that again, it should only take me 10 – 20 minutes to get everything going again, unlike the few hours it took on Thursday.

Stuff I'm looking to address next:

1.  Enabling spell-checking (doesn't seem to work yet)
      2.  Add temperature forecasts and consolidate with the Rain Map
      3.  Add link to Facebook Group

Jay Elghea

Ryan, it seems as though no one has yet said anything about the time and effort that you so obviously put into this site.  In my opinion, you’re doing a great job and providing a service that’s needed and being well used.  Well, here’s a great big “Atta boy!” from this over-the-hill biker.
        Thanks, man!

Ryan
        Ryan
        Participant

Thanks Jay, I appreciate the acknowledgment.  I do, though, get a huge kick out of doing all this web stuff.  It’s a lot of fun for me so it doesn’t seem like work really!  🙂

kane

Yes, awesome job dude!  8)

jon

8)

In agreement with fellow members…”Your work does not go unappreciated. Thanks for your time and efforts”.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.