Saddlesore maps?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  dcutter May 16, 2016 at 2:27 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

dcutter
    Participant

My first try at loading a map link on this site, so please be patient  ;D

Here is my first planned SS1600k for 2015.
      http://goo.gl/maps/nEaIf

Anyone got any planned?

BBG

Must be a rough riding bike, your trip is only 300 meters!… lol

madjak30
            • Senior Contributor

Quite the trek…not sure I’ll be able to get a long ride in this year. This 10&4 shift sucks for time off, and I enjoy my visits with my kids when I’m off…so most likely day trips this year only, unless my schedule changes.  ???

Last year I did the loop from Lacombe, AB to Castlegar, BC and back…long, but very scenic!

Later.

ABLE

Looks like a pretty good trip.  I’ve never done Hwy 41 before and very little of Hwy 36.  How long are you planning on taking to do the trip?  One day or are you going to spread it out and take in a few sights?

dcutter
            Participant

300 metres? It should show more than 1600km!

I’m going to do it as a Saddlesore (Ironbutt Association ride), so I will tackly it in a 24 hour period.

madjak30
                  • Senior Contributor

Your start and finish points aren’t far apart…you are taking the 1600km scenic route to go 300m ish  😉

dcutter
                Participant

Here is a screen cap of the route.
                  Capture.JPG

Jefferiyligh

I use Google Maps, but it does not always give the names of the smaller tribs.  They usually show up f you zoom in enough, but not with names.  And it does help if you turn on the “terrain” feature.

link

Jefferiyligh

If you can get any of the state or regional Gazetter sp.? maps to display, in my experience they have names for even small streams. Its at least worth carrying the printed maps with, theyre relatively light and compact.

link

inspiratron
                      Participant

Anyone got any planned?

About two weeks after this was posted, I rode my Concours from Lethbridge to Hamilton, Ontario, and then back.  On the way back, I did my SaddleSore on my first day (was going to do BunBurner on day two, but I slept too long on day one)!

https://goo.gl/maps/rTbPPrfJag32

I might try Border to Border (Mexico to Canada in 36 Hours) on a long weekend this summer.

Gumby
                        Participant

I did the saddle sore and bun burner back to back in October.  I did 1770 the first day, finished off with 2454 km total.  I haven’t sent the info in yet, because some of the stuff is in the bike which is still at the bike shop lol.  My fuel pump started to fail in the last two hours of the ride.  A few words of advice:

Get your ass prepared first.  Do a couple of 700 to 800 km rides near the beginning of the season.  then one or two 1000 to 1300 km rides.  If you do one or two of those, you know what you’re going to be in store for, and you’ll have a good idea on whether you are able to do it or not on the bike you plan on doing it on.  I know I can do it on both the bikes I have now, but the full dressed garbage barge BMW I had before this one would have absolutely murdered me, and a gold wing would have been even worse.

Make sure you leave a buffer.  I would add about 20 km’s or so, to make sure you don’t come up short when they verify the distance. 

Start early to avoid as much traffic as possible.  It allows you to clear your mind and settle in without having to worry about the ‘tards so much on the road. 

It looks like a good chunk of your riding is going to be on two lane.  This might create some problems if you run into traffic, plus the fact that probably two lane speeds are going to be restricted to 100 km/h at most.  From what I understand, the IBA will allow a little bit of leeway in terms of your speed, but trying to make up lost time could cost you the ride.  I’d try and stick to as much 4 lane as you can.  I live in Edmonton, but started in Hinton, in October.  The beginning had some spots that were damn cold, but by the time I made Edmonton, everything was bearable, and I made good time with little to no traffic on the 4 lane.  I see a big chunk of your ride is on a Sask. 2 lane highway.  You should make damn sure that the road is in good shape.  I know that some of the roads in some of those areas are called highways, but in actuality they aren’t much more than goat trails.

What kind of fuel does your bike burn, and exactly how far can you go to a tank?  Make sure that the fuel stops have the kind of fuel you require.  This also goes back to starting early.  By the time you hit “Rat Land”, you should have no problem with the gas stations being open.  Another note on fuel:  Just because you are rolling into a fairly large town, does not necessarily mean you’re going to get premium fuel.  I found that out in Yorkton . . .

If you start to lose your concentration at any point, FUCK IT, try again another day.  On the very end of my trip on day one, I started to become “numb” 10 minutes out of Medicine Hat.  I backed off the throttle and took my time getting to my hotel there.  That feeling can come on damn fast so be careful.  I wouldn’t have been so bad, but I had to push it, which is a long story which I’m not going to type out, because this is long enough as it is lol.

Bring lots of pens!  How much would it suck if you go to make an entry into your log or write your mileage down on your receipt and find out you lost your damn pen!  Take plenty, and store them in multiple locations.  Know where those locations are.

Take some Aleve with you, or something similar.  I found the Aleve helped with my arthritis and other aches and pains, but didn’t make me a complete vegetable. 

If you have a smart phone, maybe grab an ap like Life 360.  My wife, who was my end witness, knew where I was, and when I was getting close to my end point, so she could make sure to be there in time (had plenty of time to spare, but that’s beside the point lol)

Personally, I would do the ride solo, or with someone who has done it before.  A delay you have is bad enough, but how much would it suck if someone else delays you and you can’t complete it, and you KNOW you could have done it?  A friend of mine started the ride with me, but started to get sick very early into the ride.  We had an agreement before we set out.  He bailed at Edmonton, I continued on.

If you have any questions or want more info or input, you can call me on my cell at anytime, at (780)405-1432

Gumby
                          Participant

Ok, I’m an idiot.  I thought the original post was march 05, 2016.  What a waste of time and space my previous post was LOL.
                            SORRY KIDS!

madjak30
                                • Senior Contributor

Never a waste, someone else might be considering this type of distance rides…not my thing, but many do.

Really looking forward to the riding season this year!

inspiratron
                              Participant

Gumby, your post reflects many of the problems I had on the way, although I did the route on US-2 almost all the way (no Canada between Alberta and Ontario).

It’s funny you mention the availability of premium fuel… I’ve since found out that my Concours technically only needs 87 octane, but the previous owner said to always put 91 in it.  So I was rolling into Poplar, Montana, on the way to Ontario, and the Cenex station that I went into only had 87 and… 88 octane.  (What the heck is even the point of 88?)  I asked the lady at the register in this tiny town if there’s a station in town that might have premium because my bike needs it, and this very (pardon the terminology) redneck-hick-drawling man overhears me and says something along the lines of “Boy, you won’t find that fancy stuff in this town, we just have regular old gas, but you can get what you need in Williston” (75 miles onward).  Trusting his word, as he seemed to be a regular at the station and presumably lived there, I went out and resignedly filled up with 88.

I hopped on, turned the corner, and what do I see?  An Exxon selling the “fancy” 91, 89, and 87-grade fuel.  The guy could have just been helping the station make an extra buck, but I don’t understand how you can live somewhere for a while and not ever actually look around… or why a station would stock just 87/88 when 91 is clearly available in the area.

I agree about doing the ride solo.  I don’t think another person would deal with 21 hours on US-2 driving through rainstorms on the fourth of July.  That said, I don’t regret it one bit.

Gumby
                                Participant

Inspiratron, hwy 2 has a lot of dead traffic sections, so for a two lane, it’s not a bad choice, plus the fact for most, if not all, of that road the speed is 70 mph, so you can make some pretty decent time.  Without going into details, I had to push the 1770 km’s on the first day in under 19 hours.  for the vast majority of the trip, I was no more than 10 km/h over the limit.  Needless to say, that meant fuel, record data, get on, ride, fuel, record data, etc.
                                  Stopped at three gas stations in Yorkton, Saskatchewan.  Decent sized place, none of the three had premium.  My German garbage barge (I shouldn’t call it that, the new one is actually pretty damned peppy) does not like regular AT ALL.  Put in about a third of a tank of regular to mix with the third of a tank of premium, and ran okay.  Luckily, no more issues after that finding premium.  If I ever take that route again, I’ll have to come up with an alternate plan for fuel for that one section.  The route worked out absolutely perfectly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.