Riding the Island ??

This topic contains 8 replies, has 745 voices, and was last updated by  Bullseye July 4, 2013 at 2:37 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Bullseye

Planning a trip here in 2013 to Vancouver Island !!! ;D  What "sights" are there that a person has to see ? Hoping to got to Tofino but other than that don't have any plans ! Let me know what to see and do when on the Island !!

madjak30
          • Senior Contributor

That would be a wicked trip…but just not enough time for me to ride out there from here.  Maybe if I towed my bike to Vancouver, then rode across and toured the island…otherwise, just too much time off work.

There are tons of great places to stop…you looking for tourist places, or cool places the locals like to go?

I’m sure someone on here can give you more specifics, but I liked Qualicum (spelling?) Beach and Rathtrevor…I think that’s what it was called…been a long time.  The Island Hiway is a nice place to drive, nevermind ride!

Enjoy your trip!

Later.

delusionalmechanic
        delusionalmechanic
        Participant

My wife and I toured the island last summer and several times before. We went out through Pemberton, I recommend it as a very scenic route but don’t even think of stopping in Whistler.
          On the island we did some sea kayaking at Naniamo,
          spelunking at horne lake caves  http://hornelake.com/,
          Sproat Lake petroglyphhttp://www.vancouverisland.com/Regions/towns/?townID=4091 and water bombers,
          MacMillan Provincial Parkhttp://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/macmillan/ (on the way to long beachhttp://www.vancouverisland.com/regions/towns/?townID=3985).
          We came back down the sunshine coast and coffee at mollys reach http://mollysreach.ca/ (just checking to see how old you are 🙂

The road from Port Alberni to Ucluelet is the finest part of the drive. I can’t say I was overly impressed with tofino itself but long beach is a great way to kill an afternoon. Tofino rooms are really expensive so we have always stayed at Port Alberni and just made day trips to long beach (about an hour and a half).  The Clam Bucket in Port Alberni is a fantastic seafood restaurant that even the locals love, bring an appetite and a thick wallet.

In Victoria if you are a history buff the Craigdarroch Castle is a neat self tour http://www.thecastle.ca/

You have to book ahead to stay in the Free Spirit Spheres http://www.freespiritspheres.com/, which is on our list for next time as we did not plan ahead for this one.

Everyone has different tastes but there may be something you can use. 

Bullseye

THANK YOU !!!! for all the good info !!! So much to see and do in our own backyard (so to speak) !!

I am still doing a trip in June, JUST have to figure out where the destination is going to be !! The KLR has open my mind up to so many OTHER places to ride and see. The Island is so very apealing to me BUT we will see how life goes and what we do !! I really just want to hop on the bike and go where it takes me….. 5 miles , 50 miles, 500 miles….just go and see where and what you see !!! I really enjoy ta “NO-PLAN-TRIP”….I have done it before it’s rather nice not being pressured to be some where !!  10 days off …so could go just about end up any where. Especially if you do a decent first couple of days (mileage wise). 2 1/2 days to Island…. 4-5 days on the Island….then 3 days home ????? 
            Or just find decent fire roads in the Kootenays and Okanagan ??? Hmmmmmm

Gerrys02800

The Victoria ride is going to be road, with the Kootenay trip you can have road and do some adv’ing.
              You have to figure out which you want to do. You can slab it to Castlegar and camp in the area and ride the trails in that neck of the woods. Ride to Revelstoke, cross the ferry into Nakusp BC.  Make your way to the to Ferry that tale you towards Vernon, along the way shoot up the mountain to Watchan Lake. camp up there.

We will meet up soon, go for a burn and break in that KLR !!

Bullseye

Well ….after much discussion ……It look like “The Island” it is !!!

Just nailing down the day-by-day plans and where we want to go and see sites !! Pretty much a good couple first days to get to the coast…then a few days on Island …..then up to Prince Rupert (via a 12hr ferry ride) and ….then a side trip to Stewart BC/Hyder Alaska….. then home thru Prince George and Jasper !!!

Man, I hope the weather is decent and everything runs well !!! All this planning is getting me excited !!  ;D

madjak30
                    • Senior Contributor

Sounds like a massive trip! I’m jealous  :-\

I’m lucky to get away with a three day road trip…we’ll see!

Later.

viken

thought it said TT island…  :-[

Bullseye

Rode every major road on the Island ….
                      1) Got into Nanaimo and stayed the night in Chemainus.
                      2) Took road from Cermainus to Lake Cowichan to Port Renfrew (in the rain)….down to Sooke.(nice by Jordan River) and back up Island to Port Alberni.
                      3)Port Alberni to Tofino (in pouring rain)….skipped Ucluelet (cause of the rain)and back to Comox.
                      4)Comox to Port Hardy. Mist and fog pretty much the whole way. Got in early to Port Hardy so walked around a bit (after the rain quit…of course)
                      Lots of good roads on the Island…the back one from Lake Cowachin to Port Renfrew was great. A logging road with lots of twist and no traffic till near Port Renfrew.
                      We did find a awesome road by Sooke to Hwy 1…..was told about “the humpback” road. A really cool shortcut back up Island without going into Victoria. Lots of ups and downs.. and twist and turns !!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.