Rear wheel bearings toasted

This topic contains 17 replies, has 1,143 voices, and was last updated by  tpadams January 27, 2016 at 4:42 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

tpadams
    Participant

On Friday night I took both wheels off my bike in order to change the tires and noticed that the bearing on the hub side of the rear wheel was misaligned, so instead of playing with it I took it to a Honda dealership to replace the bearings.
      Turns out that three of the four bearings on the rear wheel were seized and two of them were fused to the spacer separating them…the only way the tech could remove them was by cutting them out, also the seal was shot.

About two weeks prior I noticed that at parking lot speed there was a dragging/grinding noise coming from the rear wheel and I thought it was just the brakes failing to release fully, thinking back I think this is around the time the bearings started to fail. That was the last time I rode it and it was for only a few miles.

Thankfully the fourth bearing never went and that I decided to change the tires before riding it 300 miles to where I'm working for the summer.

madjak30
          • Senior Contributor

Glad you caught it before it was too serious!
        You wouldn’t want to have to take anything to the shop up here…extremely expensive!

tpadams
        Participant

Still going to end up being $500 or so. Better than the couple grand that I’d have to pay if i rode it to ft mac and the whole rear end seized up.

madjak30
              • Senior Contributor

Pretty steep bill on a student budget  😮
            Better than it could have been, I guess eh…

I hope nothing goes wrong with my bike, money is a little tight for the next bit. The GF moving at the beginning of July will cost me quite a bit…but she’s worth it!

Later.

tpadams
            Participant

Turns out it’s only $280. I’m done school now but still need to find a permanent job.
              Mine has 105,000 kms on it and only the rear wheel bearings have gone, everything else is still good. I’m sure your bike will be fine

That’s good that things are working out for you now after everything.

madjak30
                  • Senior Contributor

Thanks buddy, life is working out quite well right now!

Mine has 65,000kms on the clock, so I should be good for a while…
                I’m really glad I bought the Honda, it’s a great bike!

Later.

tpadams
                Participant

I’m really glad I bought the Honda, it’s a great bike!

Later.

That really are. Yet they still get poor reviews just because they don’t have all the electronic doo-dads that the Beemers have.

Also, you should check out st-owners.com there is a lot of helpful tips and people on that forum that cater specifically to sport touring bikes, mostly the ST1300 though.

madjak30
                      • Senior Contributor

Took out the MT-01 on Friday…wow, still love that bike…all motor! The Honda is smoother & more comfortable, but the Yamaha is just pure fun!

God, I love my toys!

tpadams
                    Participant

The ST is lots of fun, especially on those once in a while occasions where you open her up.
                      Never ridden an MT-01 so I can’t say.

Now that my bike is fixed I have it up with me in Ft. mac,  ;D

ABLE

I’m in the same boat Madjak … love my CBR and have lots of fun ripping it up around town and on the highway, but I want something more touring/cruiser for days when I just want to get there in comfort and putter along.  Although, your ST isn’t a putter along kinda bike, it’s the comfortable way to rip it up and haul arse.  Had it out to the mountains yet?

tpadams
                        Participant

I’m in the same boat Madjak … love my CBR and have lots of fun ripping it up around town and on the highway, but I want something more touring/cruiser for days when I just want to get there in comfort and putter along.  Although, your ST isn’t a putter along kinda bike, it’s the comfortable way to rip it up and haul arse.  Had it out to the mountains yet?

It’s a good bike to cruise around outside the city. It performs its best sitting around 110 Km/h…..They are amazing going through the twisty mountain roads.

madjak30
                              • Senior Contributor

I haven’t had much of a chance to ride…I’ve been taking my kids camping every weekend that I’m home, then having to do my running around and I can’t always use the bike.

I find the MT-01 is more fun around town, but the ST1300 is by far more comfortable for the long rides…never mind two up…my daughter thinks it’s more comfortable that riding in the truck.

I’m debating whether to ride the ST to the Kootenays for the comedy concert ( http://www.KGBComedy.com ), or take the car…will be one of my girlfriends first rides…not sure it should be an 800km ride. We’ll see, I guess…I’ll maybe let her decide  😉

You guys getting much riding in?

tpadams
                            Participant

I think I have about 2000-2500 kms on my bike this year…I know, it’s shitty

ABLE

I’m salivating at the idea of riding in the Kootenays.  I’d be asking her to be prepared for a long ride and promise her a great view on the back of the ST.  Do you have a top box or back rest on the ST that can make it more comfortable for her?  If it means you can ride to the Kootenays, I’d find the cash for the add on, but it’s easy for me to say that sitting here without bike payments.

madjak30
                                    • Senior Contributor

Yeah, it has a Givi top box with a pad but I still haven’t bought her riding gear…she won’t be here until July 10th (I’m leaving to help her move on July 3rd from Queen Charlotte Island…going to be a pricey move) and my trip is July 26th…I don’t think I will be in a position to purchase the gear before then…we’ll ride out next year and take the car this year.  :-\

It’s a very busy summer for me again, so I hope we can get a few weekend trips in…but day rides will be happening for sure!  8)

So far this year I’d be lucky to have 1000kms in, but that should change come August…more time off to ride  ;D

I never thought this could happen, but I think I have too many toys…two bikes, a time share condo and an RV…might have to look at selling something. I just don’t seem to have enough time in the warmer season. Might have to get something for the winter months…or maybe just travel in the winter…decisions, decisions  😉

Later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.