Racing Argument Thread…

• This topic has 1,383 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tpadams
    Participant

i'd rather shoot off my toe than watch a race.
      "look their making a left turn, oh look another left turn…omg their turning left again"
      I believe that 90% of the people that watch vehicle races only watch to see that big accident that is going to happen in that left turn.

lonesoldier84

i’d rather shoot off my toe than watch a race.
        “look their making a left turn, oh look another left turn…omg their turning left again”
        I believe that 90% of the people that watch vehicle races only watch to see that big accident that is going to happen in that left turn.

Did you really just post this?

I am not entirely sure how best to respond while adequately expressing my astonishment. Motorcycle racing is among the most exciting spectator events out there. Seeing it in person is something else because wathing it on TV does not really do it justice…..but even then….

Rossi-Stoner Laguna Seca 2008 battle

MotoGP action at the A-Style Grand Prix of Japan

Oh…..and all left hand turns? Why do you automatically think this is NASCAR? Our circuit here has as you can see right hand turns in corners numbered 4, 5, and 9.

Want more? Start supporting local racing and one day they will build another track.

tpadams
        Participant

i’m sorry, i’m just not a race fan and there is nothing about it that interests me, except for watching the big crashes on tsn.
          after about the first 5 minutes i feel like i am completely wasting my time watching it.
          For me, race shows would be one of the things that would be used for torture.
          Jeff Dunham Sweet Daddy Opinion of Nascar
          Watch’n NASCAR and Drink’n Beer

lonesoldier84

Why can you not get NASCAR out of your head?

Don’t sully the name of good racing with that trash.

madjak30
                • Senior Contributor

I used to watch some NASCAR…but I would only tune in for the last few laps…and catch the “hi-lite reel” to see the big wrecks…then I got out of watching racing altogether…Rally racing I don’t mind, those guys are nutz…bike racing is okay, similar to CART or F1…but I’d rather be riding… ;D

Jeff Dunham is awesome…luv his clips…

Later.

tpadams
              Participant

bike racing is the same as nascar, just more dangerous.
                They go at high speeds, they go around in circles, and you only need to watch the last 3 minutes of it because that’s when the actual racing starts.
                Then you watch the tsn highlights to see all the crashes. either way there is nothing about them that is entertaining besides the wrecks, which are just time killers at best.
                just like um…whats his name says “I lift things, then i put them down”

whatever, to each his own. Besides should stop before another thread is jacked.

lonesoldier84

What is the ideal time window? Route planning for a total 3-4 hour ride in the area around Edmonton will be more or less the same no matter which direction you go.

But I think since this is an Alberta-wide forum we should definitely try to make it a longer rider to get everyone out together.

And since meeting up in Red Deer is lame, I think everyone should meet up at Rocky Mountain House at like 10am or so, then ride west through HWY 11 then south to Banff down HWY 93 then come out of the mountains via HWY 40 and everyone can split up at Cochrane. That would get the Edmonton people back home by 6-8pm or so.

I personally won’t be able to make it due to its being a race weekend. But if you’re having a season opener, IMO you should have an awesome ride for it and not just kick around some local prairie roads. Mountains FTW.

They go at high speeds, they go around in circles, and you only need to watch the last 3 minutes of it because that’s when the actual racing starts.
                  Then you watch the tsn highlights to see all the crashes. either way there is nothing about them that is entertaining besides the wrecks, which are just time killers at best.
                  just like um…whats his name says “I lift things, then i put them down”

whatever, to each his own. Besides should stop before another thread is jacked.

“there is nothing about them that is entertaining”…..do you not see how this is taking your own opinion and tarnishing an entire sport with it? I don’t enjoy watching ice hockey. To me it’s just people skating back and forth and is boring as hell to watch. But do I slander it as a sport? No. I understand countless millions enjoy watching it. If I were to start with my opinion and then proceed to stand on a soap box and preach that the sport of Ice Hockey is a boring and retarded sport….there would be some annoyed people.

And it is worth noting that more people watch MotoGP than watch the NHL. MotoGP has a greater following….a MUCH greater following than the NHL. Does that mean it is better? No that’s not what I’m saying…..I’m just saying that one individual saying it is a “time killer at best” is inaccurate in his assessment of MotoGP as a sporting spectacle.

Bike racing has more heart-in-your-throat moments than any other I have ever seen.

Watching as a front-level racer climbs back through the positions after a poor start, you see his rear tire skipping off the ground as he brakes so late into corners that you are sure he won’t be able to get back on his line.

Watching as someone who should be placing closer to 11th or 12th is battling for 4th or 5th place due to nothing more than the fact that he has having a brilliant performance that day. He slams the door countless times on countless corners as someone who should be a front-runner is trying desperately to punch through.

When people who are not fans of racing watch it they just hear engines droning and bikes just following one another around a circuit. They do not see the extreme razor’s edge of physics these racers are pushing. They do not see the  nuances and details that go into creating this 200MPH ballet.

And this is not NASCAR. There are no circles. Stop calling it circles. And kindly stop bashing a sport just because you are not a fan of it.

“I don’t enjoy it, sorry. It’s just not my thing.”

^That is a fair reply. It is understandable and perfectly acceptable. I am not a fan of watching ice hockey. Shall I explain why it is a terrible sport, or just say “sorry just not my thing.”

But saying “there is nothing about them that is entertaining” and that they are “just time killers at best” is not acceptable.

Bike racing is nothing like NASCAR and any continued comparison of it to NASCAR is going to succeed in doing nothing but to continue to aggravate me.

Maybe I’m just having a bad day, but this is really grinding my gears.

Anyway, I’ve spent too much time on this already haha.

Have a nice day.

tpadams
                  Participant

everything i’ve said is a matter of opinion to me.
                    And yes they are circles, sure there may be more turns in the track then most circles have (one long one), but in essence they are still circles.
                    They start at one point on the track and continue to go around the track until they cross that one point many times. since they always come back to their original starting place, it is in essence an oddly shaped circle.
                    Before you say it, this argument suggests that a square is a circle same as every other shape. I say they are because if you start at a certain point on any shape and follow it around you eventually make it back to the start, so it is a malformed circle.
                    Yay for school, changing everything you know about shapes.

too me there is no difference between nascar and motogp, except for the vehicles being driven.

lonesoldier84

^Hey that’s fine man. I’ve got no problem with that. But you did not present this as “just my opinion”  before. You presented it as the truth regarding a sport which has a loyal worldwide following in the hundreds of millions…..

Summary:

^incorrect

^90% of people who are not fans of the sport flipping through the channels with nothing to do that day will watch for that reason. The rest of us that watch it watch it because we follow the leaderboards and enjoy the extreme drama of the 200MPH ballet.

^incorrect.

you only need to watch the last 3 minutes of it because that’s when the actual racing starts.

^incorrect

Then you watch the tsn highlights to see all the crashes.

^incorrect

^The fans of the sport watch the highlights for the big passes and drama and to see how well their favorite racers did.

either way there is nothing about them that is entertaining besides the wrecks, which are just time killers at best.

^incorrect

^not presented as an opinion….presented in the manner that the sport is trash and anyone who loves it must be retarded. This was presented in a somewhat condescending manner. Some of us love this stuff.

too me there is no difference between nascar and motogp, except for the vehicles being driven.

^this is a perfectly acceptable sentence due to its being preceded with the phrase “to me” (albeit spelt incorrectly :P)

Anyway, I’m not upset. I hear this sort of thing all the time. It’s not a big deal. Many people share your opinion. But as I said earlier, MotoGP has more fans than the NHL. Opinions are opinions, but someone saying conclusively and authoritatively that MotoGP is trash and essentially a colossal waste of everyone’s time is something that I felt I had to respond to.

madjak30
                          • Senior Contributor

On a world scale you are completely correct…Soccer is the most watched sport world wide and I think cricket is right up there as well…but in Canada, NHL is KING!!  ::)

I actually find watching hockey quite boring, but I am in the minority…for me, I would prefer watching a few legs of the WRC or DAKAR Rally to any other sport, but Moto GP would also be closer to the top of my list…mostly because I am amazed at what those guys can do on their bikes and not bite it…but in reality, I don’t watch any of them regularily…if I have spare time I go for a ride, or play with my cameras and editting software (still working on the vid from the Calgary ride…not a lot of spare time lately)

Just remember, everyone is entitled to their opinion…and it is only ME that is always right  ;D

Later.

lonesoldier84

On a world scale you are completely correct…Soccer is the most watched sport world wide and I think cricket is right up there as well…but in Canada, NHL is KING!!  ::)

I actually find watching hockey quite boring, but I am in the minority…for me, I would prefer watching a few legs of the WRC or DAKAR Rally to any other sport, but Moto GP would also be closer to the top of my list…mostly because I am amazed at what those guys can do on their bikes and not bite it…but in reality, I don’t watch any of them regularily…if I have spare time I go for a ride, or play with my cameras and editting software (still working on the vid from the Calgary ride…not a lot of spare time lately)

Just remember, everyone is entitled to their opinion…and it is only ME that is always right  ;D

Later.

Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion.

As for the action:

Getting an online pass to the motogp website is a good way to watch the racing at your own pace and on your schedule.

I’ve fallen behind the action this year and need to play catchup. This week I will be watching all the races of the season so far in the next couple days.

And as for your video editing…..did you remember to turn the camera on this time? 😛

tpadams
                          Participant

comparing hockey and motogp should not even be considered since they are two totally different…um…well is driving really fast actually a sport :P? i guess it would fall into the line of curling being a “sport”, or poker….did you know poker is now considered a sport and is compared to the NHL?
                            either that or i have a totally different meaning of what a “sport” is.

The NFL superbowl is one of the most watched sporting events, but i only care about the commercials….which can be seen on youtube since they’re blacked out in Canada.
                            The soccer world cup, or whatever it was called, was a world wide watched event.
                            Then there’s baseball and basketball, they are actually sports, but provide me with very little entertainment.

Anyways, i think most sports are fun to be played but boring to watch, unless a person pick their favourites then they “enjoy” to watch it.

anyways someone should say and maybe we can go sometime, then

lonesoldier84

I call it a “sport” in the way people say “what do you do for sport”?

Hunting “for sport”.

The definition of the word sport has changed over the years and nowadays people are under the impression that a sport must be an extremely athletic event.

I’m not saying one is correct over the other. I just use the more traditional (and therefore more accurate LOL) definition of the word ‘sport’.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.