New Motorcycle Photography/Videography Toys!

• This topic has 1,379 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RyanRyan
    Participant

Check it out…

Rear Facing Camera Mount that attaches to the passenger peg.

Wireless Remote Shutter so that I can take picture while riding.

T2i DSLR with Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 Ultra Wide Angle Lens for crystal clear, epic shots.

I'm just waiting for the rear mount to come it.  When it arrives, I'll be good to go.  Once I've tested it all to make sure that it all works, I'll send out a call for a local (Calgary) group ride so that I can get picture of you guys and your rides in action!  Stay tuned…

jon

8)
        So …. what are your thoughts about on-board video cams, helmet cams  etc ?

RyanRyan
        Participant

I was thinking of getting a small helmetcam a while back but then picture quality became a big factor in my decision.  Thus was born the above idea.  Hopefully it turns out ok.

Jay Elghea

Ryan, I have serious doubts about using the lens that you mention.  Such a wide-angle lens will give a wide field of view but you’ll also get a lot of distortion.  Even another rider close behind you will seem miles back.  Instead, I’d suggest you consider something closer to “normal” – in the 30 to 45 mm range.  I also wonder about mounting the camera on the foot peg…vibration could be a problem as well as the low shooting angle.  (Heaven forbid you’d ever drop the bike on its side with the camera mounted!)  Maybe a higher mount, somewhere on the frame?
            PS – I’m a retired professional photographer so feel free to ask for any help or advice.

RyanRyan
            Participant

Thanks for the feedback Jay!  I think the mount has some kind of shock absorber built in it.  I figure if I set the shutter speed high enough, it should also help.  But then again, I also need to keep the aperture on the closed end if I want to avoid shallow depths of field and miss the subject (I will need to test of course).  From what I’ve read so far from other riders using the mount, vibration didn’t appear to be an issue so I’ve got my fingers crossed.

As for the lens, I’ve only got 3 right now:

1.  The Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
              2.  The Canon 50mm f1.8
              3.  The Canon Kit Lens 18-55mm IS

The next lens I plan to buy is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (w/ Vibration Control)

I’ll test the 3 I currently have and see how things turn out once the mount comes in.  Thanks again for the advice Jay!

Jay Elghea

I expect you’ll find that a shutter speed of 1/200 will be enough to stop most vibration and/or subject movement.  Faster would be better, of course but I wouldn’t worry too much about aperature and depth of field.  With the lenses you have, a setting around 10-15 feet should pretty much cover everything from infinity to “stealing your licence plate”.
                I think you’ll find that the 18-55 mm lens, set at 30 mm or so and f8 at 1/250 sec, focused around  8-10 feet will give you the best results under most sunny, daytime conditions but the experiments will be a good excuse (if you need one) to do a lot of riding.
                I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you get and I’ll be here if you need photo advice.

viken
                Participant

I was thinking of getting a small helmetcam a while back but then picture quality became a big factor in my decision.  Thus was born the above idea.  Hopefully it turns out ok.

Have you looked into GoPros?

Gopro HD 720p Motorcycle Yamaha R1 2007 / RN19 first person

GoPro Hero HD Wide First Test (Little Tujunga Canyon)

Although, I still think the dslr vids looks more crisper and clearer (or do they have something to do with the editing/uploading to youtube?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.