legit or not?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 1,148 voices, and was last updated by  viken March 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

viken

http://www.autotrader.ca/result/addetailinfo.aspx?srcID=19&frnID=3574602&ms=motorcycles_atvs

messaged the seller, heres what i got:

Thank you for being interested in buying my 2007 Honda CBR .The bike is in perfect condition, no damage, perfect shape .My final price is CA 3,200 $ including shipping to your address (only in Canada).The bike is located in Canada but currently I am located in Roma,Italy, because I just got divorced my husband  and I decided to move closer to my parents. The bike was awarded to me in our divorce I decided to sell the bike. As I'm unable to travel in the near future and I don't have anyone to help me with the sale I decided to make this transaction through eBay. I believe this protects both buyer and seller and it's the right way to do this.
      So don't get me wrong and don't take it personally but I would prefer to secure the deal through eBay.Basically the money will be sent to them and they will keep the money until you will receive the bike and only after you will inspect and drive the bike they will forward the money to me.

If you have other questions feel free to email.
      Regards,
      Jennifer

asked to explain further…

Thank you for still being interested in buying my bike, I will respond your inquires, but first let me explain you how the whole process for this transaction will work:
      The bike will be shipped from St. John's,
      I want to tell you that we will use eBay in this transaction in order for both of us to be 100% protected and insured by them, eBay will supervise over our transaction. They will take care of the shipping (The bike is already at the shipping company with all papers and documents ready to be shipped) and all the small details. You will get the bike and you will have 5 calendar days return-policy in which you can decide if you will buy the bike or not. In the inspection period you can test the vehicle, go with the vehicle at your local mechanic for inspection.
      After your inspection period (5 calendar days) In case you won't like the bike (not your case) you will notify eBay and you will send the bike back on my expense, if you want to keep it you will also announce eBay, you will send the funds (payment method and all the details will be set up by eBay) and you will keep the bike.If you agree with these terms, please send me your full name, shipping address and phone number, in order to start the transaction!

Thank you
      Jennifer

what do y'all think?

uber_poutine
      Participant

Based on this:
        http://pages.ebay.com/ebaymotors/buy/purchase-protection/index.html
        you should be in the clear.

Tried your link though, and it was broken. Hope it hasn’t been sold already.

Cheers,
        Uber_Poutine

Bert

Looks legit, but I can’t seem to shake the fact that it’s written in a way that reminds me of spam e-mails. Strange mannerisms and sometimes odd grammar. Too good to be true?

Gerrys02800

thats great the judge gave her the bike….. but I ask, who’s name is does it fall inder as the registered owner. Ask her to send you a copy of the title, if its legit she will be able to do this no problem what so ever. If she says she can not send it beacuse the shippers have ot, or for ANY REASON… walk away.
            Its a bullshit deal.

Bert

Very good advice Gerrys02800. You’ve got a very good point about the judge awarding her the bike. Strange. I’m just jaded I guess because I used ebay once and was taken for 2800.00 for a four wheeler. Same scenario as this. Hopefully GoofinViken has better luck and will be riding a sweet CBR by spring.

My 2 cents, worth a penny.

tpadams
              Participant

That is not legit. It is a scam and they have found a way around ebays buyer protection. I have heard of this type of thing before. Run a google search for Internet sales scams and there should be a few sites that have it listed as a popular one. As soon as you have someone wanting to use paypal because they’re over seas that marks a scam, for buying and selling. For vehicles always meet in person and use cash for the used sales with an owner

Gerrys02800

Bert,

This may sound corny, but……. be it your or anyone’s 2 cents worth of advice, it is always priceless when it comes to protecting a fellow rider from getting hosed. My $0.02 worth anyways.

tpadams
                  Participant

Another thing, they may claim that ebay holds the money from buyer until they confirm receipt of the item purchased, this is not true. As soon as you submit the amount to pay that goes directly to the seller. Ebay does not act as a payment intermediate between the buyer and seller and in no way will they hold funds.
                    To prove to yourself that it is a scam, send an e-mail to the seller saying something like this
                    “I would prefer to avoid using ebay and paypal but i would really like the bike. I am willing to pay for you to fly to canada and i will pay for a hotel, so that i can talk to you in person and possibly pay for the bike then” and/or mention something like “if this is a scam i will be contacting the police”
                    Chances are if it is a scam they will either not reply or come back with something like
                    “I am not able to leave and go to Canada. I assure you that Ebay is 100% safe for both of us to use”

But i assure you that i am 110% sure that this is a scam

viken

yes from the first reply that i got, i was already totally skeptical about it. and yes it does sound like one of those emails. the ad is gone now i think – perhaps someone else already reported it! 😀

thanks for the input and i think this is a good example for anybody else looking for bikes out there to be aware of

but yes i think i would still be riding a sweet orange-ey colored ’06 cbr this spring…. psyched!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.