Lane splitting and filtering

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10,258 voices, and was last updated by  CalgaryHawkGT March 17, 2016 at 9:12 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

68beaumont

I understand what everyone is saying here. Now i do agree with filtering as it gets us 2 wheelers in front of the traffic that is going to cause us all the trouble.  If we take a look at what causes most of the motorcycle accidents it boils down to 2 things. Speed vs lack of ability to do so. Second is uneducated 4 wheel traffic. Now they try to blame it on us as we are not visible enough however most drivers are not even aware of other 4 wheelers around them let alone the 2 wheelers. With proper education and training filtering would be a very reasonable suggestion to traffic congestion. As the number of 2 wheelers are increasing every year.  In the larger centers it would cut massive time off a persons commute and get more drivers off the road sooner during peak hours. Be sides getting stuck behind stupid drivers is enough to make anyone go postal. I was riding in Calgary today stuck behind a driver that could even hold their lane position making filtering almost impossible. To and insult  to injury as i went past the  4 wheeler she flicked a smoke right in my face and called me an asshole. Maybe i am but it was much safer to farther away as possible.

DocHaxton

I lived in California for 3 years while going to school and I rode daily where lane splitting was legal. It is so incredible to ride in between cars right up to the front of a stop light with no fear of getting rear ended sitting in the back of the pack like a lame duck. I would only lane split when cars were basically stopped due to congestion which happened often in California. Calgary traffic can sometimes be just as bad. Lane splitting is such an efficient way of maneuvering around cages that I can’t believe it’s not legal elsewhere.

Buuuuuut, it will guaranteed, never pass here.

Gryphon Rider

Well I sent an email to My PM, but he is known for being a useless PM. Has any one else?

Not quite as useless as sending a letter to a politician about an issue that is clearly outside his jurisdiction.  Rules of the road are a provincial responsibility.

F650GS

Hey,

I just signed the petition “Government of Alberta, Government of Canada, City of Calgary: Legalize lane splitting for motorcycles on all public roads” and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

Our goal is to reach 2,500 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/government-of-alberta-government-of-canada-city-of-calgary-legalize-lane-splitting-for-motorcycles-on-all-public-roads?recruiter=508728236&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=share_email_responsive

Thanks!

madjak30
                • Senior Contributor

I’d love to see filtering legalized, but not sure about lane splitting…too many idiots will make improper use of it and ruin it.

Who knows…

16hypen3sp
              16hypen3sp
              Participant

Filtering should be legal. I’m not sitting in the crush zone.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.