Insurance

This topic contains 4 replies, has 466 voices, and was last updated by  Dante1159 March 14, 2016 at 5:57 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dante1159

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations for insurance companies. Until I get my own bike I'm borrowing my mom's but her insurance company (Aviva) says that they will absolutely not insure anybody under 21 which means I cannot ride hers. They're letting me put my own insurance on it but I've had no luck finding a company. Any suggestions as to where I should look. P.S. I'm 19

uber_poutine
      Participant

I would talk to an insurance broker – I’ve used Klondike Insurance in Edmonton since I started riding  (at 20) and it’s been pretty good – they found me a policy with Nordic Insurance. You options will be limited, due to your age, and if you need a more comprehensive policy than third-party, expect to pay an arm and a kidney, especially with a Harley. If you have your own auto insurance, start by calling your broker, they may be able to get some sort of combined deal worked out for you. Good luck!

16hypen3sp
        16hypen3sp
        Participant

Yes, a broker is your best bet.

I’m 26 and I use Echelon. They are great!

Before I had my Class 6 I think I used Nordic or Facility. Through a broker. Be prepared to pay up!

inspiratron
          Participant

Old thread, but just in case anyone else in this position is wondering…

When I got my first bike (1982 Virago 750, I was 20 years old and had JUST received my Class 6), I got liability through AMA Insurance for $300/year (plus required AMA Plus fees).  Being a young male, I was surprised, as even TD Insurance had quoted more than double that.  I highly recommend AMA, and they didn’t require me to get auto coverage as some companies do.

However, I found out that I get an union (AUPE) group rate through The Personal Insurance Company.  At 21 years old riding a 997cc Concours, I paid $183 for the year for liability.

Both of these are direct insurers, and don’t go through brokers.  Hope this helps!

F650GS

Just wanted to add my two cents!

Did my class 6 written exam and planing to take the road test soon, got insurance (Novex Insurance) through blanket http://www.blanketltd.ca  $218/Year full coverage on BMW 2009 F650GS , I am in my early 40s.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.