Helmet/Compact Camcorder Options

• This topic has 2,075 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RyanRyan
    Participant

Bert

I bought a V.I.O 1.0 when they were first released for just under $1000.00.  I really liked the fact that it is almost waterproof and is supposed to be almost unbreakable. The best feature is the 110 degree  wide angle lens built into a bullet camera. Being the size of my thumb and having an infinite amount of ways to mount it to yourself or your ride, it was my setup of choice over my previous GoPro Hero camera which I found too bulky to mount on a helmet. Mounting it to the top of my motocross, snowmobile and street helmets make for a nice vantage point without any blind spots when reviewing recorded footage. It also comes with a wireless remote (record and stop buttons) that attaches to your handlebars like a velcro strapped wristwatch. As for the recording unit, it’s not really noticeable when I ride with it in my back pocket and the cable from the device to the bullet cam clips nicely to the back of your jacket. The microphone pickup is also in-line on the cable. I was using a 4GB storage card in the device set at maximum resolution and max frames per second, and hardly took the space I thought it would. Also,the Slednecks crew are still using these V.I.O. 1.0 for their series of movies, so they must be really tough. The price has dropped substantially since the 1.5 came out, and now as of today, they have a High Definition set that works and looks great. (Bought a demo unit before they were released) Picked it up for $400.00 and should hit the shelves for around $480.00. It is pricey compared to the GoPro.  One drawback to using wide angle lenses is that upon reviewing your crazy footage of clearing 70 foot triples at the motocross track or going off a huge cliff on the snowmobile, it seems to flatten the perspective (makes mountains look like hills) and your friends calling bullshit on your numbers when watching what you thought were going to be your extreme videos. As for street usage, they work great, especially at the local 9 turn track.

madjak30
            • Senior Contributor

Welcome to the group Bert…sounds like you are pretty happy with your “toy”…I just got a VholdR for Xmas from wifey…I haven’t really played with it yet, but it isn’t HD…so my expectations are low…hopefully it is decent and I can get it to mount decently…it doesn’t come with many options for mounting (one flat mounting disk…it’s flat and has double sided tape…supposed to be a helmet mount, but I don’t see any flat surfaces on my helmet?) I’m going to be trying to mask the wind with tape so that it doesn’t sound like a windstorm on every vid…we’ll see…I’m going to buy some 3m “super velcro”, not sure of the actual name but it is supposed to be pretty good…might make the camera mounting more versatile…??

Spring is coming…maybe not for another six weeks, but it is coming…

Later.

Bert

Thanks. That 3M super velcro works great. It has larger bristles and has held on without fail even up to 300 km/h with the mounted bullet cam. The 3M stuff comes with alcohol wipes which is nice. Hope you post your results when you try the new cam, because some of my friends are looking to buy some too. Maybe I should sell my 1.0 V.I.O. to one of them since it just sits in its box now. By the way, did your camera come with a clear impact case or is it an extra option? Thank you for any info.

Had enough of winter and snowmobiles, can’t wait for summer, bikes and Sturgis again.

madjak30
                • Senior Contributor

The mounting hardware that the VholdR comes with is pretty lame…so I am hoping to be able to adapt the camera to mount on various surfaces using the 3M stuff…

I am going to have to try taping the mic and taking it out in the wind to see if I can mute the wind noise, otherwise I will have to heavily overlay the videos with music…I prefer to hear the bike…

Anyway, keep playing with the toys, it keeps us young!!  😉

Later.

viken
              Participant

or insert-cam-on-front-of-mouth-with-velcro technique like these guys… 😀 some are old but you’ll get the idea… DIY stuff

Helmet set up

Helmet Cam Setup

Helmet Cam Setup and Update

helmet video camera setup

helmet cam setup

lonesoldier84

I’ve always used Go Pro’s. They are great and come with a wide variety of mounts.

They have chest straps, helmet mounts (not sure how though tbh), and all the typical stuff like handlebar and sticky-pads.

I just picked up a 1080HD recording Go Pro and will put up some videos when the riding season rolls around.

But just youtube riding vids of the new go pro hero HD (I think that’s what it’s called, but just punch in Go Pro 1080 and you’ll get hits). They are amazing.

madjak30
                      • Senior Contributor

I finally started playing with my VholdR…only a few more weeks before spring thaw starts…

Here is a sample of a non-HD camera…used Windows Muvee Maker to edit…

Winter Wonderland – Feb 2011

Later.

tpadams
                    Participant

i’m thinking of getting a vid. camera for my rides but i would like one that can mount on an angled curvy surface, since i have a wasted surface like that in between the windshield and dash of my bike, yes it actually has a dash.

any suggestions?

madjak30
                          • Senior Contributor

I would get the GoPro…it seems to have the best mounting options that I have seen…my Contour VholdR also has some options for mounting, but the GoPro has the option of a chest mount that would be nice…the shape of my camera wouldn’t work for that…I’ve glued some industrial strength velcro to the side of the camera and to my helmet…I will be testing it on the first ride of the year…

Soon I hope…

There is also a camera by Drift Technology, but the down fall of that one is that it takes AA batteries…not real long life out of those…I prefer the cameras that use a rechargeable lithium-ion, they have longer life and you’re not constantly buying batteries…

I would do a google search on POV camera reviews…

Good Luck!!

Later.

tpadams
                        Participant

i would like a camera that can be plugged in to a cigarette outlet to be charged while in use, one that is not body or helmet mounted and that can mount on the space i specified earlier, as well as being durable.

I read that with the go pro, in order to charge while in use you have to have it out of the water proof case, same as to turn it off.

viken
                          Participant

what about the Drift HD170?

http://driftinnovation.com/hd170-action-camera/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.