GPS – Yes, another thread

• This topic has 1,146 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gerrys02800

So, my current GPS system is the same one I have had for years and years. A map with a yellow marker stuffed in a tank bag. I had the chance to ride a bike with the GPS ( Nuvi 750 ) attached to it.
      My god it was nice. no more looking down at your map, no more trying to focus on a street number etc etc etc. This unit had the head the speaker on it, but I did not have it on.
      So, after looking, touching and looking and I am a little closer to buying one.

Now for  the what I do not need it to do.
      * Music – do not listen to it while I ride
      * Phone – Ummm no, I am on my bike dont bug me.
      Bluetooth – for Directions…. not sure about this one.

I am looking at the following 2 units: Zumo 220  $429.00 / Nuvi 550 $219.00

My question – who has what / map loading / auto recalculation / pros / cons. etc.

tpadams
      Participant

i dont know anything about those two units, but i am glad that you are not considering a tom tom.
        to update maps for them you have to pay almost as much as a brand new one costs.

If you have a smart phone, the gps choices you can get for those are better, especially since most of them have free map updates

Gerrys02800

I do not have a smart phone and not looking to upgrade to that.
          As for TOMTOM, I tried some out and they SUCKSUCK. For the map updates, not to worried about that. when you buy a Garmin or TOMTOM, you get a free updated map with in 60 days. Afterthat update, not to worried about it. Where I currently work, we are in a new building for the last 2 years and the whole section of the hood is still not in the system. Even in calgary, some areas are not in the system.

Like I mentioned, when I use the paper map, I have my major turn points / exits on the side of the map for ease of reference and can live with it for a while longer if need be.

Plus, I already bought a GoPRO HERO HD camera. toys. 8)

Gumby
          Participant

I’ve rigged non motorcycle GPS untis up to my Yamaha inside my tank bag, and that seems to work for awhile, but they always crap out as they either tend to overheat or just can’t take the vibration.
            I bit the bullet and bought the garmin 660.  I’ve only had it for 5 months of riding, but so far it has been outstanding. 
            It is bluetooth capable.  I know what you said about music and the phone.  I do listen to music because I tend to take LONG trips and on some interstates it’s nice to have.  I’m like you, I’m of the opinion that if you ride OR drive, the phone can WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT STOP. 
            Where the bluetooth (or the audio out jack) comes in handy is for headsets in the helmet so you can listen to the directions rather than having to look down. 
            Unfortunately, the garmin 660 is NOT cheap.  It is, however, built to withstand the elements and the vibration.  The other units I used were lucky to last 1 riding season.  I’ll let you know how this unit stands up in the long run.

Gerrys02800

Gumby,

Thanks for the info on your Zumo. The Nuvi 550 is Motorcycle safe like the Zumo.
              As I am not in a real rush, as in I do not really need it until June I might just wait. the prices are on the way down as it is. The Zumo 220 went from $529 to $429 in less than a month and the 660 from $799.00 to $629.00. So, I can wait.

What do you have for a Bluetooth ?

Gumby
              Participant

I’m buying the scala rider G4.  Talked to some long haul riders who said as far as they are concerned, it’s the best bang for the buck.  Perfect?  No.  Better than everything else they have tried (wireless)? absolutely.  They’ve said follow the instructions, especially in terms of the “loud environment.”  Instead of using the zumo for my music however, I’ll be using my XMp3 player with the micro sd card to transmit to the headsets since the G4’s also have an FM receiver.

tpadams
                Participant

good choice on the scala rider g4, thats an awesome unit.
                  I lucked out and got a great deal on two pairs of them for like 800 bucks, at the time most other places had the same thing for like 1100

delusionalmechanicdelusionalmechanic
                  Participant

Interesting topic. I am directionally challenged and have trouble crossing the street without a good road map.

3 years ago I mounted a GPS on my 84 yamaha venture. I had it tied into the audio system. I went with the cheapest one I could find, that way if it got rained on (witch it did) or fell off, I wouldn’t cry so much. (It still works).

You will likely find most displays will wash out in direct sunlight so some form of turn by turn is a plus.
                    Being able to control the audio may be a consideration. I hate getting messages on the highway, I can follow the big green signs. On the other hand, in downtown victoria I’m OK with her telling me “turn left on 75th st…no, left…the other left…..recalculating!”  :-[

The wing has built in GPS. It seems to work OK. I believe its garmin based.

I sugest you spend some time considering what you want your GPS to do for you!
                    Good luck with your decision!
                    Scotty

Gumby
                    Participant

lol I know exactly what you mean Scott.  I tried a garmin 2 something something, just didn’t survive.  I think it overheated or the vibration killed it.  Same thing happened to my alpine. 

I STILL travel with maps as a backup on long tours.  The last thing I need is to be in the middle of a large city I’m unfamiliar with and then have the GPS do the funky chicken.  Taking a wrong turn in a place like L.A. could land you in the middle of a demilitarized zone, I know from experience!

Gerrys02800

Good info guys. not in a rush so I have time, and the map has never let me down. Missed a few turns, but always got back on track.

Here are some prices from New Enough for Scala. I order from them and they way better $$ than most dealers can even touch.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/accessories/intercom__communication_systems

Gumby
                        Participant

The boys at Triple M Motorsports in Edmonton quoted me about $600 for the power set (two headsets.)  I could probably find a little better deal on-line, but I find their attention to detail and quality of work outstanding.  BMW always tells you to take your bike to an “authorized” warranty shop, but to hell with that, those guys do outstanding work, and bill you for the work done and the actual length of time, not like BMW that says right in their manual and website that there is a set price for each particular service job.  If it takes Triple M 1 hour to do the work, you get billed 1 hour, not “The standard rate for that service is 3 hours.”
                          If Triple M doesn’t have what your after, they’ll find it, or tell you where to get it.
                          I’ve been riding 32 years, dealt with almost every major shop in Edmonton over that time, and these guys are, BY FAR, the best shop I have ever dealt with.
                          Sorry, didn’t mean to sound like an advertisement lol, I’m just that impressed by them.

Gerrys02800

If you have a shop that is great to deal with and they treat you right, nothing wrong with some praise.
                            I know who Tripple M is, dealt with them when I was in the BIZ.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.