FAQ – What you need to know about getting a bike license in Alberta

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6,913 voices, and was last updated by  madjak30 December 18, 2014 at 3:44 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

madjak30
        • Senior Contributor

Here are some of the hints that have been given when a newbie asks what they need to know when going in to get their class 6 license…

Check these out, and feel free to ask more questions…there is never enough info…

Later.

madjak30
          • Senior Contributor

Gerrys02800 wrote: At a stop, both feet on the ground and bike in nuetral…. fail. things along that line. Make sure you that when you look at traffic and lane changes you realy make your “head turns” so the instructor can see it. You may see whats going on, but from behind the tester could view your helmet as not moving which means your not looking.

tpadams wrote: you might want to make sure you do have a firm grip on road rules, a lot of people seem to forget most of the mundane traffic laws.
        i.e. turning right at a red light, you must come to a full stop as if it’s a stop sign. you must wait until a pedestrian gets all the way across the road in a cross walk before you can go….stuff like that.

The examiners mainly look for these things: do you have balance on the bike when you’re moving, slowing, stopped, and starting from a stop? do you properly signal, when turning lane changing? do you cancel your signal within 3 seconds of our lane change/turn? Are you looking for potential dangers? i.e. someone who might run an intersection, distracted drivers, debris on the road. Do you safely manage your lane? i.e. on the left side of it to be better seen, using the whole lane to avoid obstacles like pot holes, tar snakes, sand, gravel, miscellaneous debris. The most important one is, do you have full control of our bike at all times? i.e. both hands on the handle bars at all times, when stopped the left foot is on the ground, the right one is on the rear brake and both hands are on the handlebars with the bike being in gear. Also, can you get going without stalling the bike?

if you answer yes to all of these and you obey the road rules then you will be perfectly fine

madjak30 wrote: The only thing I would add to tpadams post is to make sure when you come to a stop light or a stop sign, make sure you stop with your front wheel on the line…then roll forward to see if it is safe to turn (I got caught on that one…I would stop with my foot on the line so that I could see the on coming traffic)  The tester understood why I was doing it, but she said that you are supposed to stop on the line then proceed to see if it is safe to go… 

Otherwise tpadams nailed it…they really are just checking to see if you are confident on the bike and are safe to ride on the streets…it’s actually pretty easy to pass, so don’t be nervous…just learn everything you can at the course…confidence in bike control pays a lot when you are taking you road test… 

tpadams wrote: generally speaking, for stopping at a stop line, most examiners allow you to stop anywhere within 2-3 feet before the stop line. try to get as close as you can without losing balance and going past it. Warning most examiners are picky if you put your foot down to balance when you’re moving.

raven wrote: – Don’t forget school’s back in now so watch your speed thru those zones and playground zones as well

– Slow down and do some obvious checking at uncontrolled intersections

– Practice your hill starts as you will probably have to do one. And don’t forget to signal when pulling over/pulling out for the hill start

madjak30 wrote: As for the road test…they basically test you on road knowlege (following the rules of the road), and look for your “safety awareness” and that you are confident in your riding, not a hazard to yourself and others.

It’s not that hard, just make sure you go to the Registries office and pick up the motorcycle guide (you may have already if have done the written)…just make sure you pay attention to the signs…speed, school/playground zones, crosswalks, etc…they watch to make sure you use your signals and cancel them, merge properly and safely…basic stuff…

I would suggest taking a beginning riding course (BRC)…even a scooter follows the same rules, you just don’t have to worry about a clutch and shifting…it’s not quite the same as driving a car, there’s more to it…braking in a corner can scare the crap out of you.  Gravel, sand, water, or anything else that isn’t dry asphalt changes the way the bike rides…be careful…

raven wrote: Having recently passed my road test, I’ll paraphrase what the driver examiner told me before the test started:

“I don’t expect you to be perfect, because nobody is. To pass the test you need to show me two main things – that you have some skill and confidence in handling your machine, and that you know and follow the rules of the road”.

To help with the confidence part, I highly recommend as others have said that you take a riding course. Even though I had ridden bikes before, I found that taking a course gave me a lot of confidence and knowledge that I didn’t have previously. Good luck with your test! 

SilvrAngl wrote: Like Raven, I just got my class 6 at the end of July and it really just boils down to knowing the rules of the road and handling of your scooter.

I have never ridden a motorcycle or motorized bike prior to taking the class and was glad that I did.  It’s a great opportunity to learn how to ride correctly.  On the road test, don’t forget to shoulder check, stop at the correct spot for stop signs, stay within speed limits etc…basically if you have your class 5 then you should have the rules of the road well versed.  I passed the road test on the first try and it in the pouring rain.

More later…

uber_poutine
        Participant

I would add:

Use an appropriate machine, not one with gobs of power (ie. a litre bike). It is very hard to stay at the speed limit without going over, and if you have an analogue speedometer, it might not be possible to tell the difference between 50 and 52km/h and the tester will ding you hard and repeatedly for it.
          As a side note, it is quite possible to pass the test with all of your excessive speed demerits ticked.

Also, if you have a tendency to accelerate aggressively, tone it down for the tester, or he won’t be able to keep up with you; even a 125cc is a lot quicker off the line than most sedans  ;D

Anonymous

Just a side thought.  I took my road test at Crowfoot Plates in Calgary, I only got nicked for “going too slow in a school zone when the conditions didn’t call for it”. 

My tester was very lenient.  I had to lock up the brakes to avoid getting separated from her and skidded into a crosswalk, but she didn’t even comment on it.  When I asked, she simply said “I knew you didn’t want to get separated from me” and left it at that.

They are pretty good up there from my experience, and it’s an easy ride.  I went as much as 5 over and had no issues.  Sometimes it’s hard to keep it just right, but know you’re machine before going for your test, that’s the best suggestion I can offer.  I spent a week at speeds of no more than 20 doing my starts and hill starts so I knew I wouldn’t stall it.  I did only 3 road rides with buddies, and the test was easy after that.

bmw2002e3

Just a side thought.  I took my road test at Crowfoot Plates in Calgary,
              They are pretty good up there from my experience, and it’s an easy ride. 

What was your route like?

catterallj

Thanks a lot guys, these tips are pretty helpful. I am about to go for my test tomorrow. I took CTEC’s training up in St. Albert and I’m going to be using one of their dirtbikes… though I have a Suzuki standard motorcycle from the 80s as my practice ride. I thought I knew how to ride already, and then I took the course! Wow!

One thing I would add that I heard nails a lot of test-takers is the left turn. Normally we cram as many as possible into the intersection to try and squeeze through when the light turns yellow, but apparently only one vehicle is allowed in the intersection at a time. So if you’re second in line, wait behind the signals stop line until whoever’s ahead is gone.

sultan69

Hi..I am halfway through the process of migrating to Alberta from India. I ride a 2001 model Fireblade here in India. I know its a long way for me to get a Class 6 licence but I would like to be prepared before hand. Indian motorcycle licence does not have any restrictions on the bike that you can ride. My question is:

1. Is there any restrictions on the bike capacity for taking a test? Will they accept any capacity bike?

2. Is there any situation where we have to take a figure 8 or continuous loops, as a test? Or is there only a road test involved other than taking the written test?

3. Right after getting a Class 6 licence, will I have any restrictions in purchasing a litre bike? With my current licence, I can avoid the GDL program but I am planning to take a riding class for safety purpose anyway.

4. Do I have to own a bike to take the test? Is there any way to take the test with a rented bike / will they be able to provide me with one for the time being?

These questions may appear to be foolish questions to you but this is perfectly OK, where I come from.

madjak30
                      • Senior Contributor

1. No restrictions here in Alberta, and I don’t think there is anywhere in Canada.

2. No, just the written test and a road test…which is mostly just showing that you understand the rules of the road and are in control of the bike.

3. No purchase restrictions either. Good call on the riding course, I would suggest taking the course before the test, as some courses will allow you to borrow or rent one of their bikes for the road test.

4. You need to supply a bike for the test, either through ownership, borrowing one or renting one.

Fireblade is quite the bike…I think they are CBR1000R here in Canada.

Good luck and let us know how the process goes!

Later.

sultan69

@madjak30
                      Thank you for clearing my doubts. I will definitely post my progress.

The Fireblade I ride is a 2001 model CBR900RR (929cc). Not quite powerful or as nimble as the new generation litre bikes but a very comfortable all rounder.
                      Dee.jpg

madjak30
                          • Senior Contributor

My buddy’s son has one of those…it’s been dropped, so it is now naked, but still rips!

Where in Alberta are you planning on moving to?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.