Face Protection?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 977 voices, and was last updated by  BlueBerryPie January 27, 2016 at 4:14 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

BlueBerryPie

Hey guys,

I have both full-face and open face helmet.  When I wear my open face helmet I sometimes wonder what would happen if a stone or chip hit me in the face while riding (look at how many cars have cracked windshields).  I always wear sunglasses so hopefully I wouldn't lose an eye (I heard that has happened to people – Too Cool instructor said his buddy lost an eye by not pulling down visor when they were riding) but at night… you almost need goggles (non-tinted) otherwise it's too dark.

What do you guys do and why?

Gerrys02800

last year in Colorado I had a truck go by me and a rock hit my faceshield so hard that the shield actually flexed inwards and the side plate that holds the shield intact came off. Not having a visor or glass’s as you stated could cost you an eye. Having said that, some of the sun glass’s on the market today, cheapo’s, would not stop a bug ass going through it and into your eye. If I have a smoke visor on I wear clear or yellow glass’s when night falls and if I have a clear visor its tinted or yellow glass’s. Yellow/amber cuts down on the glare at night. The link below is close to the glass’s I wear ( could not remember the correct part# ) but they are wrap around, high impact, UV coated safety glass’s. They are like $20.00 or so. The below ones are not UV rated but you will get the idea. Your eyes have to be worth at least $40.00 right ?

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=WSSA902CSA

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=WSSA752

BlueBerryPie

Hi Gerry,

I haven’t been hit by any road debris yet but I know it’s only a matter of time if I ride as often as I do.  And when I’ve been in a car – it’s shockingly hard & loud when things hit the windshield.  If you are going 110 kph, and if the stone is coming at you in “oncoming” direction – that’s a serious amount of force, your eye wouldn’t stand a chance.  In fact, even your teeth would likely get knocked out at that speed if you were hit in the mouth.  I’m guessing if you got hit in the face and badly injured… controlling the bike in traffic may become quite… difficult.

If I know I’m riding +100 kph for more than a few minutes I’d likely wear the full face helmet because of the chance of getting the stone to the face – funny how it doesn’t factor into my decision that the full face one would give me much higher survival chances in a crash.

I like riding with the open face one in nice weather.  But I have been caught out in rain twice and it was very difficult to ride in that – feels like hail hitting you full in the face, and the glasses only serve to become hard to see through (you can’t win).  But a few times I was running late and ended up riding late at night with my open face/sunglasses alternative – very difficult to see.  I lower the glasses when there’s no traffic nearby – less chance of getting debris to the face. 

Jefferiyligh

Ive heard somewhere that full face protection must be worn whilst playing at tha is there any truth in the matter? As I dont do full face protection just ballistics glasses.

link

uber_poutine
            Participant

I was tagged in the forehead by a rock on the QE2 once. It took out a small piece of my helmet coating. The impact was forceful, and it was incredibly loud. I don’t want to imagine what that could do to an eye or a tooth (thankfully your neck is usually protected with a full-face).

I always wear full-face when I’m going to be riding at highway speeds. Around town, it’s a bit of a tossup between full-face and 3/4 with full visor, depending on weather, distance, speed, etc. Also, on the Hurricane, my windshield is pretty bad at deflecting wind, so riding w/o some sort of visor is unpleasant.

16hypen3sp
              16hypen3sp
              Participant

I usually do full face at all times. On the rare chance I wear an open face, it would be in-town only.

That said, I don’t think I have taken anything larger than a grain of sand to the face, but I took a bumblebee at 200kph once in the right shoulder. I was wearing full race leathers and it felt like I got shot with a paintball gun.

The other day I was slowing down for a train at a level crossing and took a bumblebee to the throat… which then fell between by tshirt and sweater. It was pissed off made use of its stinger.

ABLE

I wear a full face helmet.  The only time I’ve not done so is when I rented a Harley in Mexico.  My current helmet, the Shoei GT-Air, has an internal sunshade that I can move up and down with a switch.  I also wear eye glasses so I’ve got something, even if it isn’t impact resistant, on my face.  Between my glasses, the sunshade, and the visor, I’ve got something covering my eyes.

As for why I wear a full face.  Well, my bike currently doesn’t have a windshield, but there’s also this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmeisterplanet.com%2Fjournal%2F2014%2F04%2F25%2Fstatistically-cool-helmet-from-icon%2F&ei=ofmDVYD2NMuXsAWTooKoDQ&bvm=bv.96339352,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNG1_70Z-ljJXjdSMuui72r8aRUMAA&ust=1434798880850127

Pedersoli

I have  3 helmets.  A 3/4 with a clear flip up visor, a full face with the internal flip down sun shade, which I find pretty handy, and an old style open face.

80% of the time I wear the 3/4 helmet with the flip up.  I always wear sunglasses with the flip up helmet.  The only time I wear the full face is in the spring and fall when it gets cold or if I go for a long distance ride and will be driving at night a lot.  I wore the open face once in two years.

Drive in the rain with a open face helmet and it feels like your skin is getting sand blasted.  For years I rode with an open face helmet, full face helmets were pretty new when I started riding.  Looking back I don’t know how I put up with all the bugs and rock chips.

Captkerk

Hi Folks;
                      You can buy relatively inexpensive and quite stylish impact rated safety glasses at safety equipment stores.  This form of eye protection should be an absolute minimum, if you have no other form of impact rated visor or shield.
                      Normal eye glasses are not usually impact rated and can complicate stone damage to your eyes.
                      You can still purchase face shields for the 3/4 style helmets.  They come with 5 snaps and are easy to store when not needed.
                      Food for thought:
                      If you and the oncoming vehicle are both travelling at 100 kph, a stone released from the tire of the oncoming vehicle when the stone is at the top of the tire’s arc, can theoretically strike you at 300 kph.  That is why some stone impacts are so severe, even at relatively low relative speeds.
                      Pete

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.