Destination Highways – Alberta!!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 656 voices, and was last updated by  ABLE April 11, 2015 at 9:45 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

ABLE

For those of you familiar with the DH books, I'm sorry for getting your hopes up.  No, Twisted Edge has not put out a DH Alberta book.  But, that doesn't mean that we can't put together a list of the good highways in Alberta.  For those unfamiliar with the DH books, they list all the best roads and rank them based on their twistyness, scenery, road quality, engineering, etc.

I'm planning on a few day trips here and there, starting in Edmonton, but I've honestly not delved too far into the Alberta country side.  I'm now on a cruiser, so I'm less concerned with twisty roads that emulate a race track, more on nice roads and good scenery, not that I'd shy away from something that I can scrape my footboards on.

So, let's hear what you think; what are some of your favorite routes.  List the highway/route with start point and end point and some of the qualities of it.  I'll start:

Hwy 37 from Hwy 44 junction through Onoway to Hwy 43 junction – nice road with quick sweepers and scenery of some small lakes and hilly areas.  https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/53.7162422,-114.2488226/53.716039,-113.8189825/@53.706692,-114.0878042,12z?hl=en

tpadams
      Participant

Hwy 1a from Cochrane to lake Louise, best stretch of road in Alberta, in terms of scenery + twisties.

madjak30
            • Senior Contributor

Icefield Parkway, Jasper to Banff…can’t be beat for scenery!

touring03
          Participant

Both of the above are great and in a pinch 93 to Radium BC is a nice run.

PG

BBG

Hwy 40 between GP and hinton, but close to GP its busier than hell with oilfield traffic.

Bullseye

For what it’s worth ….. I agree with all the above. Been on them all….. ALL good. BUT is I had to pick …..hmmm…Hwy 1a from Cochrane to Banff …..soooooo hard not to speed !!! LOL

touring03
                Participant

For what it’s worth ….. I agree with all the above. Been on them all….. ALL good. BUT is I had to pick …..hmmm…Hwy 1a from Cochrane to Banff …..soooooo hard not to speed !!! LOL

You’re right, that stretch of road is a blast, and with some of the tight turns launching off the top of blind hills you really gotta be on the ball or you could be in the bushes pretty quick.  :-[

PG

Faz

I haven’t seen Kananaskis Trail mentioned too often – that section of HWY 40 from East of Canmore to Longview. Its closed until around end of May or sometime, but its a great road to spot wildlife.

madjak30
                        • Senior Contributor

BC is a whole different world…I’m not sure I could pick a favorite…but the road past my parents place, Westside Rd from Kelowna up past Fintry is incredible!

All of Hwy 3a…just don’t crash right before the ferry, makes for a sucky ride home  😉

touring03
                      Participant

BC is a whole different world…I’m not sure I could pick a favorite…but the road past my parents place, Westside Rd from Kelowna up past Fintry is incredible!

All of Hwy 3a…just don’t crash right before the ferry, makes for a sucky ride home  😉

Yeah, BC is pretty incredible, Vancouver Island is also a big favorite of mine.  ;D

PG

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.