Bike to Bike Communications

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2,608 voices, and was last updated by Ryan Ryan December 10, 2014 at 4:32 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

Hey everyone.
      Ive been on line searching for a good bike to bike communication system. I have read so many reviews my head hurts and I have NO idea what to look for and what not  😛

I dont necessarily have to have a system that works through a phone, just something to be able to communicate with another rider would be extremely useful for long trips.

Any suggestions?!?!

morgal

Goldwings and other large bikes often have a CB radio option. Surprisingly the CB bands are fairly empty.

If i was to get a bike to bike system it would use this system as there is a good chance other riders would have this.

Also for the goldwing i know it has the ability to play music from an MP3 (or anything with an audio jack) and thus could conceivably be hooked to a specialized system like a phone if required with no additional installation. In addition it would mute the music automatically when someone or yourself spoke. I also found the “push to talk” or mic toggle very nice.

I know this does not solve your brand issue but from using the goldwing I really liked it’s system. It worked very very well, Hope this helps.

I would be interested in seeing your research though as i also would be interested in it as it would make the ride much more social.

Anonymous

Thank you for replying.

I don’t ride a Goldwing, I actually have a cruiser. My bike is fairly … beefy… shall we say and I will need something that I can mount inside my helmet because of the noise.

I did do some research and found some good recommendations. One system that seemed to stand out was a Cardo Scala Rider G4 Powerset Communicator System. It might be more along the lines of what I need. I read some awesome reviews on it but I was wondering if anyone out there has ever tried it and what they thought about it.

Thanks again! ;D

Ryan
          Ryan
          Participant

I don’t have experience with these but thought I’d chime in since I too would be interested in something like this.

Anonymous

;D So Im happy to report that for ONCE I bought something that actually works the way its supposed to and does what it claims YAY!

After a ton of research I decided to buy the Cardo Scalarider G4 Powerset. This is an incredible product let me tell you!!!.

The Pros: The clarity between riders (up to 1 mile apart) is like you are sitting side by side. I have a very loud bike and yet my voice came across without background noise or wind noise to my partner. Now heres the cool part….. these can be used with an Ipod, GPS, FM radio (which it will scan for local stations) and Bluetooth compatible phones! Yup it does it all hands free. It installs 2 ear buds inside your helmet and a mic. I have a fullface helmet and it was easy to install. The powerset comes already set up to use meaning no frequency searching or trying to figure it out. You install it on the outside of the helmets and you are ready to roll. The instructions were easy to follow. You can buy individual ones by the way for the single rider anddddd if there is a group, you can all buy single ones and set them all to communicate together. Its a very cool and well worth the money, system.

The Cons: I guess if there is one…..is the price. They are in the $400 – $500 range for the set. (Shop around but I bought mine online @ Riders Discount).

To say Im impressed is an understatement. We are heading out on a 2 week bike trip next week using these and Im sure this will make for a way easier and enjoyable time.

Happy Riding everyone 😀

Durak

Thank you for the review and information Alwayssmilez!

I would be interested in knowing how the earbuds work for keeping wind/road noise out while riding?  Are they similar to the standard earbuds that come with an ipod (or similar device)?

Have a fun on your on extended bike holiday!

Keep the shiny side up  🙂

Anonymous

Hiya Durak
                  I guess I shouldnt have said “ear buds” they are more flat disc type buttons that velcro on to the inside of your helmet by your ears. They work great as far as reception but no not as far as say an actual ear plug would for keeping noise out.

There are also volume control buttons on the outside attachment that you can volume up or down even with gloves on!

Thanks for the well wishes, and yes shiny side up is BEST lol. ……see you on the road!

Comet650

Warning post hijack

Can anyone recommend a less expensive alternative. I’ve seen some gmrs based systems and others use Bluetooth. I don’t need high end although it would be nice. I’m heading down to Montana with a friend and I would be nice to have some thing we could use to chat along the way. Especially because his gas tank is smaller than mine so he always has to wave me in when he is low.
                    Anyone got a set they don’t use anymore and willing to sell?

Syn

I saw a pair of ones at Canadian tire, Sure they wont be the best, but they will get the job done right? And if they suck to the point where they are unusable, just return them after the trip and tell the person working the suck.(Not the person, the radios haha (: )

morgal

Not really no topic but GPS nav systems are great for trips in unknown area’s. they often have a distance to next gas station feature and on smaller tanked bikes this is important.

Also interested to see what lower end systems people find. I mean there walkie talkies that only need a range of a few meters… i had $15 set when i was a kid…should not be rocket science to get a walkie with voice activation or a big push to talk button.

Comet650

Ordered a chatterbox frs multisport. HJC’s “entry level” bike to bike communication. I’ll up date soon.

GravityMike

Thank you for the review and information Alwayssmilez!

I would be interested in knowing how the earbuds work for keeping wind/road noise out while riding?  Are they similar to the standard earbuds that come with an ipod (or similar device)?

Have a fun on your on extended bike holiday!

Keep the shiny side up  🙂

Durak,

The post may be a bit stale (out riding, you know how it is), but check out Earfuze http://www.earfuze.com/about.html
                            I don’t own a pair, but I’ve reads good reviews.

Cheers

Mike

Meadus

For anyone still interested,  Me and my brother just bought the Chatterbox XBI2-H and they seem good so far,  haven’t gotten a chance to really really test em yet but I’ll keep you updated.

viken

bluetooth, music, answer phone, talk to rider buddy whos about to get hit – been using cheap blowbay shiiii (or something similar) and its been awesome!

MarinaPt

With all of the rain we have had, I decided that I want to get a bike for the road, so I can get some miles in.  I average between 260 & 280 lbs, so I was wondering is a road bike going to be strong enough for me or should I look at a cyclocross and but road tires on it.  Will the cyclocross bike be stronger?  I do not plan on racing with either.

By the way, the best program for marketing, SEO and SMM for me – it a XRumer 12.0.9 Elite 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.