Bike Part Question

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2,382 voices, and was last updated by Ryan Ryan December 10, 2014 at 2:04 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Ryan
    Participant

I've had a bit of an incident with my bike.  I am wondering if anyone can confirm if the parts (specifically hand levers clutch and brake and the bar ends) from a 2007 Bandit 1250 will fit on a 2007 Bandit 650?

I called a couple of bike shops, but the first one couldn't even prove the existance of the 650 to confirm or not.  The second could only say "ya, it should, but there's no guarentee".

Any help would be appreciated.

Below is the email I sent to the company I was looking at ordering form.  I have called them as the did not respond, as well as called Blackfoot Motorsport and Bow Cycle (who only said, "no idea, we don't deal in suzuki")

———————————————

I have a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 650 (GSF 650).  I did not specifically see my bike model listed in your catalog.  I see earlier year models as well as higher engine lines (1250), but I’m pretty sure that mine falls in the same category as the others.

I am in need of brake levers, and was wondering 2 things.

1) Do you ship to Canada?
      2) Will the model 74-003 in Red fit on my bike?

On this page (http://www.luckybike.com/servlet/Detail?no=503), you list the following

Suzuki Brake & Clutch Levers
      Fits:
      08-11 GSX 650 F
      99-11 Suzuki GSXR 1300 Hayabusa
      03-07 Suzuki SV1000 & SV1000S
      98-03 Suzuki TL1000R
      01-06 Bandit 1200
      07-11 Bandit 1250
      GSX 1400 All Years

From what I can tell, they look identical to what I have now.

I’m also interested in red bar ends, found here (http://www.luckybike.com/servlet/-strse-529/Bar-Ends–dsh–Suzuki/Detail) with the same issue as above.

Red Anodized Aluminum Suzuki Bar-Ends with Laser Etched "GSXR" Logo

– Machined out of Billet Aluminum
      – Anodized for a Durable Finish.
      – Laser Engraved Logo
      – Designed to fit like OEM

Includes everything Pictured, Several colors available, the color in the heading & Main Picture is the one you will receive.
      Recommended for all GSX-R but will fit:
      Suzuki GSXR600 1992-2010
      GSXR750 1996-2010
      GSXR1000 2001-2010
      GSXR1100 1989-1998
      TL1000S 1997-2001
      TL1000R 1998-2003
      Bandit 1200 1997-2000
      SV650 2001-2008
      SV1000S 2003-2006
      Suzuki Hayabusa 1999-2010
      Katana 600 1989-2006
      Katana 750 1989-2006

I believe they would fit as well, but need confirmation.

—————————————-

madjak30
          • Senior Contributor

I don’t think the Bandit 650 was ever available in the states (your’s is liquid cooled…correct?) They got the GSX650F instead, which is basically the GSF650 with a faring…the GSF1250 (Bandit 1250 S) is a very similar bike…

From Wikipedia…(yeah, I know)

Current generation Bandit 650S
        A completely new, water-cooled motor was designed specifically for the 2007 Bandit 650, unlike earlier models which used engines re-worked from other models.[6] Most of chassis and the bodywork kept unchanged from the 2005 model, though.
        Meets Euro3 emission standards
        656 cc displacement, inline-four all-aluminium liquid-cooled engine
        Electronic Fuel Injection with dual throttle valve system (similar to Suzuki’s GSX-R and V-Strom)
        10% stiffer frame and longer swingarm
        Stiffer rear shock but softer front fork
        Claimed 85 hp (63 kW) at 10,500 rpm (up 7 hp)
        12,500 rpm redline
        Same 20 litres (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) fuel tank as previous model, but the fuel pump takes about 1 L
        Hydraulic clutch lever
        14 kg heavier
        The 2007 Bandit 650 was reviewed by Bike magazine as being “de-criminalised” compared to its early brethren, but a good bike for beginners.[7]
        Bandit 650 no longer offered in the United States for the 2007 model-year.

GSX650F (a Bandit variation)

The Suzuki GSX650F, in many respects a tweaked Bandit
        The GSX650F, produced from 2008, is essentially a variation on the Bandit 650, with much the same specification and components.[9] Although built on a Bandit chassis, the additional lower fairing gives it a sportier look similar to that of the Suzuki GSX-R Series. The engine has also had a small amount of remapping to encourage revs, and the suspension is tweaked. It also has a different, one-piece seat.

So I would go with yes, it should fit.

Later.

Gerrys02800

The part numbers do match up and seem to supercede into the new listings of both bikes. I went to Ronnies micro fiche and checked it out. I use the GSF1250F and the GSX650F
          LEVER ASSY,FR B ()57300-44G11 (replaces 57300-44G10)
          LEVER ASSY,CLUT ()57500-24F21 (replaces 57500-24F10)

1250: http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=704574&category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=2008&fveh=18998

650: http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=704784&category=Motorcycles&make=SUZUKI&year=2008&fveh=19001

Parts are listed under ” handle levers” for you to double check. You can also go to the local MC shop and look in their after market books and see who sells replacement levers a little closer to home and you can use those same books to cross refrence the part numbers, to see what else they fit. As well, there are a lot of salvage yards in the area that do have bikes that you can buy the parts off. Remember, cheap… and I mean no name cheap junk will not always fit your bike the right way, have the same bend/curve of your OEM’s so use caution buying no name brands.

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback on this!

I don’t understand why people who are supposed to be professionals at their jobs can’t figure this out. 

Gerrys02800

I don’t understand why people who are supposed to be professionals at their jobs can’t figure this out.

The term Customer Service has changed in every business over the last few years. When I was the Parts Manager in the MC biz and I would have fired over half of the people I have dealt with in Edm and Calgary at the local MC shops in the past 2 months alone. Useless.
              For me, out of the 3 dealers I went to, the person behind the desk made no effort to look up a different solution, much like you and your levers. For you they could have pulled out a motovan,kimpex or parts Canada book, looked at all the suz bikes and crossed ref yours, but its being lazy. My favorite part is still having a sales rep talk to me on how well a certain bike handles, the way it rides and then when I say I am interested in buying, lets go for a ride….. and they have no class 6. Thats when I walk to the GM of the shop and express my feelings and ask him to think about how he run his biz. If a sales guy does not have a class 6, has never ridden in his life and you hired him to sell a bike and offer his opinion on something he knows zero about…. shove it.

Gumby
              Participant

The term Customer Service has changed in every business over the last few years. When I was the Parts Manager in the MC biz and I would have fired over half of the people I have dealt with in Edm and Calgary at the local MC shops in the past 2 months alone. Useless.
                For me, out of the 3 dealers I went to, the person behind the desk made no effort to look up a different solution, much like you and your levers. For you they could have pulled out a motovan,kimpex or parts Canada book, looked at all the suz bikes and crossed ref yours, but its being lazy. My favorite part is still having a sales rep talk to me on how well a certain bike handles, the way it rides and then when I say I am interested in buying, lets go for a ride….. and they have no class 6. Thats when I walk to the GM of the shop and express my feelings and ask him to think about how he run his biz. If a sales guy does not have a class 6, has never ridden in his life and you hired him to sell a bike and offer his opinion on something he knows zero about…. shove it.

Could not agree more with you Gerry!  I deal with a strictly service shop here in Edmonton now for my bike needs.  All the guys that work on the bikes ride, the guy at the front doesn’t ride at the moment, but will be returning to riding probably next year.  They never charge “by the book” and you don’t have to book your bike in 2 or 3 weeks in advance to have a single tire changed.  Last time I took one of my bikes to the dealership, I explained the problem I was having to the guy who WAS going to work on my bike.
                Me: “It’s doing this when I do this.  You know what I mean?”
                Service Gumby:  “No, not really, I don’t ride motorcycles.”
                Me:  “You haven’t ridden in awhile?”
                Service Gumby:  “No, I haven’t ridden at all.  Just not interested.”

Couldn’t get my bike out of there fast enough.

Gerrys02800

I am sure I know which shop and the guy behind the counter who will be getting back to riding. to me, thats fine, he is straight up about it and says it. I have meet a lot of people who work in this industry, that do not ride. Those who say it out at the start of the conversation or even if a new parts guy says ” I am not sure, can you wait while I ask” is miles ahead of those who decieve you and tell you how a bike rides, or gear works in the rain or which tire will get you the best milage.

the sales guy that I dealt with, when I spoke to the manager, I told him striaght out that its not the sales guy fault but its all the GM’s fault. If you allow someone to sell a bike who has no experience and give the perception they do, how can you make the claim that your shop is above the rest in customer service. Then I found out that the owner has had his learners for 3 months and he is given me advice on riding and bikes with his vast experience….. “f-off !!!!!”

Ride, get experience, be smart, listen to other riders, then dole out your advice to your future customers. Let alone a rider with over 25 years on the saddle.

Gumby
                  Participant

I could not agree more Gerry.  😀

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone could guide me to a location on the web or a video or manual for the 2007 Bandit 650. 

I have managed to get most of my replacement parts in for repairs, and completed a number of changes tonight.  However, I have the neutral sensor, but can’t find anything to tell me where it goes.

I haven’t ridden in over 3 weeks, this sucks…especially coming into nice weather.  I hope I can get it on the road next week. 🙁

Gerrys02800

Purchase a Clymer Service manual, its worth the investment and has all the info on keeping your bike in tip top shape. It has everthing in there you need.

Anonymous

Purchase a Clymer Service manual, its worth the investment and has all the info on keeping your bike in tip top shape. It has everthing in there you need.

Any idea where I can get one locally?  The interwebs is great, but sometimes, just so darn slow

tpadams
                          Participant

on amazon.ca it’s $25 for a hardcover vs $80 anywhere locally or $150 at the dealer.

I got the one fore my ST1300 and those were the prices for mine. It only took about 6 days for to arrive to my door step, at christmas time too.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/1844257983/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1336755854&sr=8-1&condition=new

I highly recommend you get this one

Anonymous

I don’t think the Bandit 650 was ever available in the states (your’s is liquid cooled…correct?) They got the GSX650F instead, which is basically the GSF650 with a faring…the GSF1250 (Bandit 1250 S) is a very similar bike…

From Wikipedia…(yeah, I know)

Current generation Bandit 650S
                              A completely new, water-cooled motor was designed specifically for the 2007 Bandit 650, unlike earlier models which used engines re-worked from other models.[6] Most of chassis and the bodywork kept unchanged from the 2005 model, though.
                              Meets Euro3 emission standards
                              656 cc displacement, inline-four all-aluminium liquid-cooled engine
                              Electronic Fuel Injection with dual throttle valve system (similar to Suzuki’s GSX-R and V-Strom)
                              10% stiffer frame and longer swingarm
                              Stiffer rear shock but softer front fork
                              Claimed 85 hp (63 kW) at 10,500 rpm (up 7 hp)
                              12,500 rpm redline
                              Same 20 litres (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) fuel tank as previous model, but the fuel pump takes about 1 L
                              Hydraulic clutch lever
                              14 kg heavier
                              The 2007 Bandit 650 was reviewed by Bike magazine as being “de-criminalised” compared to its early brethren, but a good bike for beginners.[7]
                              Bandit 650 no longer offered in the United States for the 2007 model-year.

GSX650F (a Bandit variation)

The Suzuki GSX650F, in many respects a tweaked Bandit
                              The GSX650F, produced from 2008, is essentially a variation on the Bandit 650, with much the same specification and components.[9] Although built on a Bandit chassis, the additional lower fairing gives it a sportier look similar to that of the Suzuki GSX-R Series. The engine has also had a small amount of remapping to encourage revs, and the suspension is tweaked. It also has a different, one-piece seat.

So I would go with yes, it should fit.

Later.

Gerry, I wanted to once again thank you.  I did get to order the part I was looking at based on your posting.  They fit without issue, took about 5 minutes total to change them.

With any luck, I will finally have my bike back on the road before the end of the night.  The hardest part has been the rim.  I was unable to get it repaired.  Alberta Wheel Repair got it mostly sorted out, but was unable to finish it.  The cycle shop said they should be able to finish it with weights and silicon balancing, but was unable to.  In the end,  I was left with buying a new rim as no one was able to direct me to a matching bike for a used rim, and there was nothing in the North American continent for my bike.  About 850 to get the rim. OUCH!

Gerrys02800

Glad it worked out for you. for the rim, just keep looking at salvage yards in Canada and the USA or bike that was laid down and the owner looking to sell it as a parts bike.

Anonymous

Already paid for the new one.  Finished everything tonight and the bike is back on the road.  Took it for a test drive, up to about 120, no wobble or pull.  Did a bunch of figure 8’s at low speed in a parking lot looking for a pull, nothing.  Had a second rider who had ridden before test it out, and he confirmed it felt good.

Now I’m back on the road, and a lot more weary about riding it, simply because I don’t want to do that again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.