A heads up on the zumo 660

• This topic has 1,272 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gumby
    Participant

DON'T LOSE OR DAMAGE THE SOFT WEATHER CAP ON THE ZUMO 660!
      I have had great luck with the unit, HOWEVER The weather cap that protects your line out/antenna connections CANNOT BE REPLACED. Garmin does not sell it, stock it, provide it, hell, they don't even have a part number. They also can't tell you what size of machine screw you need to attach it so making your own becomes extremely difficult. Their warranty repair depots don't have it either as this part is not supplied to them. Garmin told me my only alternative was to purchase a ENTIRELY NEW unit for a part that, at most, would cost only a few bucks. Their support staff are the worst I have ever dealt with. 
      Think about it:  A cover that was intended to be removed and replaced by YOU and ME that is easily damaged or lost absolutely in no way, shape or form CANNOT be replaced, leaving these two connections exposed to water.  So now I'm stuck basically sealing these connections up permanently (let's face it, tape is just not an acceptable option) or paying another $800.00.
      This is the same as telling a consumer "Geez, you lost one of the "special" lug nuts that holds the tire on your car?  No, there is absolutely no way you can get a replacement.  Your options?  Buy a new car."
      Absolutely ludicrous.

madjak30
          • Senior Contributor

WTF??

Screw it…I’ll make due with my map pocket in the tank bag…$9.95 at Wal-Mart… 😉

Later.

Gumby
        Participant

lol Mad.  Most of my riding that would be fine, but when you’re trying to find your way around San Francisco, L.A., San Diego, Salt Lake City, etc, you REALLY appreciate a little electronic device telling you in a set of headphones:
          “Turn right Dummy!  You missed your turn!  Fine, turn the next time I tell you to this time!”  lol
          Believe me, there are places in some cities where you DO NOT want to make the wrong turn  😮

madjak30
              • Senior Contributor

I guess…even in Vancouver I would need one, and I lived there for a few years… ;D

I really don’t like big cities anymore…I did when I was younger and wanted the nightlife, but now…no interest at all…better scenery out in the country or small towns…plus, I don’t know if I would venture that far on my little 500cc bike…actually, yeah I would…I luv my little guy…the mileage is great, and it is dead reliable…maintenance is simple and parts are cheap…10Hp more would be nice, but I think I can get 5Hp ish if I put exhaust, air cleaner and re-jet…so it should be good…we’ll see… ::)

Although, I do like the FJR…beauty of a bike!!

Later.

Gumby
            Participant

It is indeed a beauty.  It still lets me relive my youth to a large extent, while still being a great high miler.  I can do 1000 km’s a day for days on end and not be crippled.  Best machine I’ve ever owned.

Gerrys02800

A buddy of mine is selling his 2006 FJR/blue. It is on Kijiji and its mint. He just bought a KTM 990 to switch things up.

As for the GPS, I bought the Nuvi 500 but I still use the map in the tank bag. As Gumby mentioned, out of town I use the map, in town…… what can I say, GPS makes it so much easier.

tpadams
                Participant

i use my “i go wherever and whichever direction i want to go, attitude” with a map thrown in the hard bag just in case i get turned around. Hasn’t happened yet.

Since i avoid Calgary at all costs, i know Edmonton and there are no other worrisome cities or towns in Alberta, i figure i don’t need a gps. Considering it is pretty easy to find Edmonton when on a highway.

The only time i have used a map is to plan out a route and memorize the turns. As for a GPS, i used one on vancouver island but that was in a suv

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.